Protein Problems PLEASE HELP

DannyBoyDVG
on 2/11/12 5:06 am - AR
Ok so I'm 11 days post op doc won't let me eat tell my first appointment on the 16th. I cannot stomach any kind of protein at all I have like 5 flavors and flavorless all of them make me want to vomit no matter how I mix or what I mix it with. My question is is there any other way to get my protein in aside from shakes/powder/food? I am not getting any ware close to the protein I need and I know it's not good but I can't help it it's all so nasty. Can anyone help me out? And yes I've already gone the rout of contacting my nut and doc they say there is nothing they can do. Please anyone help.

Jenspunky
on 2/11/12 5:13 am, edited 2/11/12 5:18 am
RNY on 01/16/12

Did you have some sort of complication?  

I was able to have yogart and cottage cheese at one week post-op.  The yogart felt great - I eat Yoplait light, and it's not too thick, but the cottage cheese took a few more days before it felt good going into the pouch.  

Now I add some of Jay Robb's unflavored whey to the yogart and I don't notice it at all.

If you are alllowed milk, you could try a SF flavor syrup (like chocolate or strawberry) and then mix in a little unflavored whey to that.

Good luck!

And don't worry - from what I've been told most people don't get near their target protein intake in the first few weeks.  Just do what you can.

Edited to add: And stay hydrated!  The #1 reason RNY patients end up back at the hospital - dehydration!

~Jenna 
RNY 1/16/12

inspirationseeker
on 2/11/12 5:15 am - CA
RNY on 02/02/12
 Hi i am just 9 days post op and i cant handle the protein shakes either. My friend who has also had the surgery 8 years ago told me try to eat eggs and dairy as much as i can untill later and that i should be able to tolerate meats better and the shakes. cottage cheese and yogurt are my friends right now and skim milk i tried pureed chicken and it was ok, but the dairy is better for me even just to nibble on thru out the day. 

DannyBoyDVG
on 2/11/12 5:24 am - AR
No I never had any complications my surgeon just requires 2 weeks post op to give the pouch longer to heal he said it helps lessen complications like structures later down the line. And I have been thinking about eating an egg or super smushy potted meat something along those lines but at the same time I don't wanna get in trouble with my doc.

poet_kelly
on 2/11/12 5:26 am - OH
I've never heard that staying on liquids longer could help prevent strictures.  How does that work?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

DannyBoyDVG
on 2/11/12 5:27 am - AR
On February 11, 2012 at 1:24 PM Pacific Time, DannyBoyDVG wrote:
No I never had any complications my surgeon just requires 2 weeks post op to give the pouch longer to heal he said it helps lessen complications like structures later down the line. And I have been thinking about eating an egg or super smushy potted meat something along those lines but at the same time I don't wanna get in trouble with my doc.
Do any of you know of a clear protein that's more like a fruit juice or cool-aid? I figure that may be easier than a thick one.

poet_kelly
on 2/11/12 5:38 am - OH
Sure.  Syntrax Nectar makes powders in flavors like roadside lemonade, ice tea and lots of fruity flavors.

Or there is Isopure ready to drink which you can get at GNC or Vitamin Shoppe, and Cytomax ready to drink.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Jenspunky
on 2/11/12 5:36 am
RNY on 01/16/12

I do NOT recommend trying meat of any kind right now, or eggs.  Eggs still cause me pain and I'm almost 4 weeks out.  

Yogart is a safe bet.  Cottage cheese and ricotta w/a bit a marinara sauce should be fine, too.  

I have no idea what your surgeon is thinking.  Sounds like dated information, but I'm just a nurse and a post op...

~Jenna 
RNY 1/16/12

poet_kelly
on 2/11/12 5:24 am - OH
You can get some protein from skim milk or soy milk, although you'd have to drink a LOT of those things to get enough.

what brands have you tried so far of shakes?  How are you making your shakes?

iowa_missie74
on 2/11/12 5:28 am - IA
I absolutely hate the protien shakes, no matter how they come. I have started making a smoothie. It's 340 calories, but if u are counting it as a meal, that works. The great thing is that it has 64g of protien. I actually want these all the time now but don't because of the cals. In the blender use 1/2 cup of each or the following...chobani yogurt(vanilla), skim milk, frozen blueberries(or whatever fruit you like) and a scoop of your vanilla protien powder. You won't even know the protien is in there. I also add ice because I like mine thin...if you want it thick like a shake just don't add ice. Good luck!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 366 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 346 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 302 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 363 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 302 views