The Things We Do...

RyanG
on 2/14/12 3:38 am - CA
RNY on 04/27/12
 So like many of us, I have been indulging for years and years. Extra meals, desert, maybe an extra ****tail. And for what? An insurance requirement of having a tube stuck down my throat without being sedated in order to be approved for RNY. It stinks, and that procedure really stunk, but its my own damn fault. 
Mary B.
on 2/14/12 4:31 am - Southern, MD
You had an EGD without sedation? yikes! Im sure that wasnt pleasant. At least its over now.
    Banded Feb 23, 2009 / Revision to RNY Aug 25, 2010

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 2/14/12 4:49 am - OH
I'm not sure what requirement you were meeting that involved having a tube put down your throat, but, whatever it was, you should have received some type of sedation.  Can I ask why you did not insist on something? Although you ARE the one responsible for your weight, there is no reason for you to subject yourself to misery just because you are obese.  Being fat is no reason to be subjected to something painful or unpleasant!

Since you are preparing for a journey that often entails needing to learn a lot about how your body works, and that often requires that patients be willing to ask medical personnel questions rather than just taking whatever they say and nodding quietly, now is a really good time to start to learn to be proactive about your health (both physical and psychological).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

RyanG
on 2/14/12 5:03 am - CA
RNY on 04/27/12
 Well, they gave me something. It was an IV pain med. It was over in ten minutes, but I guess I misunderstood what was going to be going on with me. i was told I wouldnt remember it, but that sure didn't happen. An endoscopy is the last requirement on my list from my Bariatric Surgeon before they submit for insurance approval. Hopefully, I'll be good to go in early March. 
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 2/14/12 5:13 am - OH
I get it.  At least it was not painful, but usually you are just sedated enough that you aren't aware of what they are doing and don't have any memory of it.  Sorry to hear that yours did not work out that way!  If you ever have to have another one, be sure to mention your experience with this one so you don't have a repeat (perhaps you need more medication that they gave you).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 74 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 297 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 302 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 342 views