having difficulty

rbucklin
on 2/20/12 1:11 am - Unity, ME
I had surgery 21 days ago and now it seems my weight loss has come to a hault.  I went from 255 to 241. I cannot seem to lose more weight.  Any ideas.  I am having trouble because I do not feel hungry or full, I am filling out a menu planner today for the next 4 weeks to see if having a set meal, and times will help me.  Please let me know if anyone has any ideas.  my surgon also will not let me lift more than 20 lbs until he sees me again.  Ideas for different exercise that I can do other than walking would be great as well..... Im beginning to get depressed at the fact that I cannot lose.... I have come so far and do not want to fail...
DisneyLover
on 2/20/12 1:23 am - WI
this is how it is the life of a post op.  You will not lose weight every day.  You may not lose weight every week, but at some point you will lose.

you need to eat/drink protein shakes in order to lose weight.  your body is adjusting to its new starvation mode and if you don't feed it, it will hang on to every pound it has to to survive.

keep up on your fluids too.

walking is just fine for now.  i wasn't cleared for full exercise until 6 weeks.

don't worry.  it will be OK.

Sarah

rbucklin
on 2/20/12 1:26 am - Unity, ME
Thank you, I just feel like I'm not doing enough. I will keep up on my protein and fluids and hope it will wash in the end.
Kat Kat
on 2/20/12 1:35 am - AZ
You're perfectly normal, and right on target for the loss to stop for a little bit of time.  Quit measuring your success by numbers on the scale, or you'll drive yourself crazy. This is a journey , so you'll find that 3 weeks is not really very long at all. At later stages you'll have Real Stalls that will last longer.  As far as a 4 week menu planner is concerned, it's a good idea to plan meals,  but you really can't micromanage them at this point because pretty soon you'll begin the stage where you'll be introducing new foods, which really should be done one at a time to see how you tolerate them. As far as hunger goes, you had surgery on your stomach, your intestines were rerouted, nerves were cut. You might not feel hunger for a long time. Focus on protein, and fluids, and measure what you consume. Give yourself a break, and be patient. Walking is good, so lace those sneakers up, get outside, and let the endorphins wash away that unneeded depression.

Kat

nightbird
on 2/20/12 1:36 am - Bowie, MD
 I am over four years out...you will realize you will have stalls every few weeks and some will last awhile.  It is like your body is trying to catch up.  If you start measuring you will notice you are losing inches but not pounds in that time.  Just keep doing what you are doing.  

Lisa
poet_kelly
on 2/20/12 2:37 am - OH
What makes you think your weight loss has come to a halt?  I can guarantee you it hasn't.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

tahoelady1958
on 2/20/12 2:48 am - reidsville, NC
RNY on 01/16/12
Just to share my story. I had my procedure January 16. On February 2 I stalled and the scales did not move till feb 17. Then bam I lost 3 pounds in one day. I was told by the veterans on here that our body was in shock. It was clinging on for dear life to the fluids we drink. Well that was the analogy I got from it. So don't be disappointed(but I know u are). The losing will start again. Just follow the plan!!
Rita

rbucklin
on 2/20/12 2:55 am - Unity, ME
I am going to just cross my fingers and follow the plan. Hoping for the best, I was losing weight steadily then it stopped but the energy I feel after just the small amount of weight loss makes the biggest difference for me. I feel so much better inside I can't wait until it keeps going.
Kat Kat
on 2/20/12 6:22 am - AZ
There really is no reason this soon out for you to think this surgery failed, in fact you're off to a good start, so I'm sure you'll be fine. Like I said earlier, this is common at 3 weeks out.

I'm typing the rest with complete kindness, so I hope you don't take offense.

If the energy you felt was based on what the scale says, you really might want to consider seeking professional help, and abstaining from getting on the scale at all. Many people have long stalls that can last for months. If this one causes you depression, and is affecting your inner peace, then I'm concerned about how you'll handle the others.

Please Be Patient and Kind with Yourself,
Kat

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 264 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 277 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 319 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 277 views