3 Month Lab Results

Nathan R.
on 2/23/12 2:40 am - CA
I had my followup with the surgeon yesterday, and he says my labs all look great; but, thought I would post here and see if you all concur:

Prealbumin....................22
Albumin..........................4.3
Total Iron.........................49
Iron Binding Capacity..335
Transferrin.....................15
Vit B-1.............................Pending
Vit B-12..........................322
Vit D................................Pending
Calcium.........................9.4
A1C.................................5.8
Total Chol......................135
LDL.................................73
HDL................................39
PTH, Intact.....................26

Why would B-1 and D be "pending?"  I have a visit with my PCP next week, so I'll ask him to get those results.

Is there anything missing that they should be testing?

poet_kelly
on 2/23/12 2:45 am - OH
Your B12 is definitely not great, it's dangerously low.  Below 400, you can get permanent nerve damage.  Got any numbness or tingling in your hands or feet yet?  Below 550, people usually get tired and depressed.  How much B12 are you taking?  You need to get that up fast.  I would do shots to get it up, personally, but if you prefer a sublingual, I would get a BIG dose and start it today.

Your B1 and D may still be pending because it just takes longer to run some tests than others.

Yes, there is a LOT they should be testing (in my opinion) that I don't see here.  I don't see a protein level, but it looks like they did a CMP so that should have been done too.  But you are missing ferritin, vitamin A, vitamin K, zinc, copper, selenium, B6, vitamin E, magnesium...

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

bostons4me
on 2/23/12 3:44 am - IL
Kelly -

Is there any documented source that shows what each of these should be, that you know of?

Barb
poet_kelly
on 2/23/12 4:01 am - OH
No, not really.  Not one source.  That would be simple.  But I haven't found it.

From my research, most of the references ranges listed on your lab report should be the correct range for good health.  Vitamin D and B12 are exceptions.  Based on information from the Linus Pauling Institute, I believe our vitamin D level needs to be at least 80.  Here's a link: lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/vitamins/vitaminD/

And here is some info about B12: www.health-boundaries-bite.com/new_folder/550-B12-Level.html

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

cajungirl
on 2/23/12 3:43 am
I agree B-1 and D take longer.  Your B-12 is scary, what and how much are you currently taking?

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

Jamie B.
on 2/23/12 3:49 am - MI
Wow..time flies. Seems like just the other day you were posting about being a week or so post op!

My set of 3 month labs were 2 pages long! I'd be asking about everything Kelly mentioned.  Also my numbers were broken down more...like calcium had a two or three different numbers...then a total...iron as well. Wonder why yours is different?

Glad that you are asking! 
Jamie        
Nathan R.
on 2/23/12 4:40 am - CA
I'm taking B-12 1000mcg sublingual once a week.  Should I take twice a week, or double the dosage each week?

No numbness or tingling at all.

Thanks for the feedback.  I'll ask my PCP to give me a lab slip with the extra items for the next set of labs.

poet_kelly
on 2/23/12 4:53 am - OH
Oh gosh,   The AMSBS says you need 500 mcg B12 a day.  That would mean taking your 1000 mcg suglingual every other day.  But since your B12 is so low, I would take it a couple days every day until you get your numbers back up.

manda2108
on 2/23/12 5:00 am
 My surgeon hasn't instructed me to take any b-12 yet..however I purchased some and I've been taking it every few days..more like twice a week..(1000mg). I've had numbness in my right leg/foot..I thought it was maybe from my diabetes however I've been testing my fasting number every morning..haven't seen anything higher than a 75. Do you think the numbness could be from a lack of b12? Also, can I take my 2 multi's that I need a day at the same time? Thanks as always Kelly..

poet_kelly
on 2/23/12 5:10 am - OH
Well, the numbness could be from low B12, but it could be about a million other things.  It could be related to your diabetes, it could be a pinched nerve, I don't even know what all it could be.  It could be nothing or it could be something serious.

Do you have other symptoms of low B12?  Like are you tired, depressed, having trouble concentrating, forgetful lately?  If you think it might be B12, I would just call your doc and ask him or her to order some labs for you.  It's easy to find out.

As far as the two multis, I've heard different opinions on that.  My personal thinking is that it's probably better not to take them together because we can only absorb certain amounts of some vitamins and minerals at a time.  If you take them both together, you may not absorb everything.  However, different multis contain different amounts of somethings and they also contain different forms of some vitamins and minerals, so how much you can absorb at one time might depend on which brand of multi you take.  I think the safest thing is to take them separately but if you really feel you need to take them at the same time, you're still gonna absorb a lot of what's in them, just maybe not all of everything.  That's helpful, huh?

Most Active
Recent Topics