Is what I'm experiencing dumping?

Nycm
on 3/6/12 11:00 pm
RNY on 02/21/12 with
 Starting three days ago I started have a recurring issue with horrendous gas and loose floating stool after drinking my protein shakes. As an example this morning I blended my Muscle Milk light RTD with 5 frozen strawberries (no sugar added i froze them from fresh myself) in the blender and now I am cramping and have to run to the bathroom constantly because I don't know if what is going to come out of me is just gas or gas with a bonus.  Oh Lord the stink!  This also happened last night after my Isopure mixed with water, and a Tbs of Skippy creamy peanut butter.  

I was thinking maybe lactose intolerance, but I mix with water and I thought both Isopure and Muscle Milk light RTD are milk free.  Also I have had only a couple of puréed foods at this point but one was HappyBakers suggested ricotta with egg, tomato sauce and topped with a bit of cheese and the other was a twice baked potato(a friend made this for me at a social get together).  It was a potato whipped with lots of milk and a bit of butter and some sour cream.  I did fine after both of these.  

I go back to work on Monday and can't be experiencing this at that point.  Any advice or guidance is appreciated. I will call and set an appt with the nut at my next appt but it's not until March 27th.

Christine

Jenspunky
on 3/6/12 11:06 pm
RNY on 01/16/12
Doesn't sound like dumping to me.  Dumping feels like you're dying.  Heart racing, sweaty, it comes out of both ends, terrible cramping, a bit dizzy, etc.  Just my experience.  Did it once, hope it never happens again.

Might want to try a different protein shake and skip the fruit for now?

~Jenna 
RNY 1/16/12

Nycm
on 3/6/12 11:14 pm
RNY on 02/21/12 with
 Thank you Jen. I think you may be right because when I was simply drinking the shakes straight this was not happening.  Thank you for your reply.

I do have a ton of cramping and urgency but no lightheaded ness or heart racing.

Christine

Jennifer M.
on 3/6/12 11:09 pm - MN
RNY on 02/17/12
 It might be the consistency of the shakes.  If there's too much air in your beverages, it can cause problems early out.  I'm having that problem.  I can only eat soft/pureed food and soups and water at this point.

Nycm
on 3/6/12 11:15 pm
RNY on 02/21/12 with
 I have been putting them in the blender, so that could be it too.  Thank you.

Christine

hedrider
on 3/6/12 11:25 pm - Midlothian, TX
 Air in the shake wouldn't cause the bathroom issues.  It *could* be lactose intolerance, but since it happened with Isopure I don't think it is.  I though that all Isopure formulations were lactose free.

Loose and floating stools are related to fat, since we malabsorb fat we just pass it through.  It could be you are taking in too much fat the meal before and drinking the shake later just triggers the bowel movement.  I've had that happen before after I've eaten my yogurt and I've had too many nuts the night before.

It definitely sounds like fat dumping...  I would get it pre op after fatty meals since I had my gallbladder out years ago and I've had it once or twice since to a lesser extent.

It is a mystery though, and I hope you figure it out.  Maybe start isolating food that it happens with.  Eat the same thing basic things until you get to a point where it doesn't happen, then start adding things back into your diet to rule out the culprit!
Heather
Since 2008 my team has raised over $42,000 to fight breast cancer.

charb149
on 3/6/12 11:29 pm
I have the same problems with the shakes and also protein bars. I stop them and try again. Some days I'm ok. But most they bother me.
Claudia

Nycm
on 3/6/12 11:41 pm
RNY on 02/21/12 with
 Could be the fat in the penut butter.  Other than that don't know where it is coming from. I was thinking fat due to the unflushable floaters, but I really have not been taking in much at all so I thought maybe this is what dumping is. I have been journaling my intake everyday since discharge on Fintess Pal.com and will bring it with me to go over with the nutritionist  until then I will go back to the very basic of basics.

Thank you so much for your insight I really have learned so much from you on this sight.

Christine

IrishIze
on 3/7/12 1:14 am - NJ
My first thought was sugar alcohols.  When I eat to much of that I get cramping, loose bowels and a gas that could clear a room.  Make sure you're not eating too much of those....they're sometimes found in certain protein bars.
Irish......  

Most Active
Recent Topics