Am I eating enough?

BellaSaid35
on 3/7/12 10:10 am
Hey all. I will be one month out next tuesday. I had an appt with my nut, and she warned me I wasn't eating enough calories. So in the past few days I have been really dilligent, and today made it to 650 cals, pretty close to the 800 she requested. I just wanted to run it by you all and see what you were eating at this stage, to see if I am on par.

B- 1/4 cup plain greek yogurt with cinnamon and splenda

L- 1 serving tuna with 1 tsp light mayo and 1 wasa cracker

Snack- protein drink

D- 1/4 chicken breast

Snack- natural peanut butter on a wasa cracker

I'm having trouble with fruits and veggies so have backed off of them for another week or so. I am totally open to any ideas for more variety of foods- I'm kinda scared to try much of anything since 2 episodes of food getting "stuck" recently.

Thanks so much!

Rny 2.14.12

Hattie T.
on 3/7/12 10:16 am - Denver, CO

Looks good.  I only have the following comments:

I have been instructed to not do veggies until 6 months.  So I get veggies only in soups. 

This is the honeymoon period.  The time to get your new lifestyle all figured out AND still lose weight.  This is the time to get away from breads, including crackers.  Have a cheese stick instead. 

Hattie

Htaylor46     HW 412, SW 386, CW 309, GW 190      
BellaSaid35
on 3/7/12 10:21 am
Hattie, I totally agree with you about the crackers. My nut suggested them because I have had some trouble with constipation since surgery.  I truthfully don't enjoy them much.

Thanks for your reply!
Cathrine J.
on 3/7/12 10:21 am - Victoria, Canada
RNY on 02/01/12
I'm about a week further out than you.

Did you get a list of foods that you were allowed to progress through based on the number of days or weeks after surgery?  My nutritionist wants me to focus more on getting in 60 grams of protein daily than a certain number of calories.

My pouch holds 4 oz so I typically have a 1/4 cup plain greek yogurt with 1/4 cup 0% flavoured yogurt for breakfast.  Trying to get in more fiber I'd choose a 1/2 cup lentil soup for lunch and dinner might be a protein drink or 1/2 cup of some mix of low fat cheese and wasa type cracker.  I'm supposed to get in six mini meals a day but find it fairly challenging to do so if I'm also trying to get in the 8 cups of liquid required each day.  My liquid rule is stop 30 minutes before eating and wait 60 minutes after eating.

I can't eat any raw fruits or veggies at this point.  I've used unsweetened applesauce in greek yogurt or canned peaches in their own juice.  Veggies for me are mostly canned but I haven't done those that often because I've been trying to focus on protein.

I'm looking forward to hearing others replies to your post.

HW 262, BMI 46.2 / SW 216, BMI 38.2 / CW 183 / GW 155
*45 lbs were lost pre-op.
5' 3 1/2"

BellaSaid35
on 3/7/12 10:29 am
Yes, I got a list. I am in the soft food stage for another week or so.

My nut insists on 800 cals and 60-80 gms of protein. The protein is no problem to get. The cals are a bit tougher.

Lentil soup is an awesome choice for fiber and protein. I actually have some made, but it upsets my tummy a bit. I seem to have a crabby pouch.

Rny 2.14.12

_Donna_
on 3/7/12 10:25 am
I would add another protein shake... between breakfast and lunch maybe.

RNY 5-5-2011

BellaSaid35
on 3/7/12 10:31 am
I could try, but I am so dang full and feel like I am eating all of the time! I hope it gets a bit easier as time goes on. As it stands now my recovery has been really great so I hate to complain- but getting all the cals and protein and water required is a challenge!

Rny 2.14.12

poet_kelly
on 3/7/12 10:32 am - OH
I think that's OK for now.  You'll be able to increase it gradually.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

mirlyn2012
on 3/7/12 12:21 pm - FL
RNY on 02/20/12
No advice as I'm a noob but have you tried watermelon? It practically dissolves in my mouth and sits great in my pouch (since you asked about fruit.) Obviously don't swallow seeds!
      .oOo.oOo.oOo.oOo.Miranda.oOo.oOo.oOo.oOo.      
Most Active
Recent Topics