Eleven days post op, is this a hunger pain?

Popclub
on 3/10/12 10:57 am - MD
Revision on 02/28/12
 Ok, I have been cleared to have soft foods now, progressing to mushy and crispy this coming week. But today I ate a little more I thought, since I can do 5-6 small meals and had not been doing it all. I tried cottage cheese blended with applesauce for two of my meals. Grits. Sardines. All of it was the correct amount and puréed. I also had a protein shake.  

By 9:00 I was feeling hungry.  That's new, since I had not actually felt hunger since the surgery. So, instead of suffering, I ate a little bit of soup.

Is it normal to feel hungry? Is it important to get all six of those little meals in? I had done well with my protein intake so I thought I was done eating. 

Thanks

Beejay

missjann
on 3/10/12 11:18 am
What's normal for you is normal for you. Some people feel hunger
soon after surgery...some months later, some not much ever.
It's a very individual thing. Keep in mind that depending on how the
grits and soup were made, they may not have had protein in them.
Right now you need fluid and protein. So maybe add protein powder
or pureed baby food chicken to things to increase the protein.
Protein is what's going to keep you from being hungry all the time.
Good luck!
    Jan

Popclub
on 3/10/12 11:27 am - MD
Revision on 02/28/12
 The soup has 12 gr. of protein per cup (divide tht by the amount I eat). I did fine with proteins today. That is why I was surprised. 
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/10/12 12:51 pm - OH
Some people do feel hungry very early after surgery.  That is just one of the many things that varies a lot from person to person!  There are a couple of reasons that you should get all of your meals in.  

Number one, you want to follow your surgeon's plan.  If it calls for 6 meals per day, the other nutritional information you are getting from your surgeon, nutritionist, and other people associated with his office about what and how much you should be eating is probably based on the assumption that you are, indeed, eating 6 times a day rather than 3.  Although protein is the primary focus early out, the number of calories you consume is the primary factor in weight loss and consuming enough calories is almost as important as being sure you are not consuming too many.  Some people have a very hard time getting enough calories if they only eat three times a day.

Number two, eating more frequently helps keep your metabolism up throughout the day (which helps maximize weight loss) and it keeps your blood sugar more stable (which will be really important if you end up being one of the people who develops reactive hypoglycemia).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Popclub
on 3/11/12 12:25 am - MD
Revision on 02/28/12
 Thanks Lora.  That's good info. I do have a tendency to not eat as much as I should so I have to watch that.
Kermit P.
on 3/10/12 11:49 pm, edited 3/10/12 11:49 pm
I felt hunger early out....most don't but some of us do. I also felt fullness so this helped
me know what were my limits fast. I was surprised as you were!

Good luck!!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 19 replies · 79 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 246 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 300 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 260 views