I need advice on Iron please...

JenK130
on 3/14/12 4:59 am
RNY on 01/30/12
I get so much great info from all of you.  So thank you for that!

I will be 7 weeks out on Monday.  I have not had post op labs yet (next week).  So I don't know how all my levels are.

I am having such a problem with Iron.  I am having flashback to pregnancy and how sick the prenatal vitamins made me!  Is there a a gentle iron that works for us?  I heard of a liquid form at Whole Foods that is more gentle.  But I have no idea if that is enough or how much I need.

Thanks!
Jen
 RNY 1/30/12  

poet_kelly
on 3/14/12 5:24 am - OH
Carbonyl iron.  And the ASMBS says you need 54-63 mg if you menstruate, 36 mg if you don't.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Lorrainecma
on 3/14/12 7:13 am
 I use a chewable iron from Bariatric Advaantage. "Iron Chewy bites"  So far these are the only ones I tried that I dont taste later. 

HollDobs
on 3/14/12 8:51 am - MA
I take the chewable iron from ariatric Advantage also. The VitronC made me sick
mermaidoz
on 3/14/12 10:07 am, edited 3/14/12 10:10 am - Canada
HEME iron, all natural from beef, you can take it anytimeand does not constipate or have any side effects found with other mineral sources of iron ( don't have to take  hours before this or that, and with or without food...)...sold under brand name  PROFERRIN...not for Vegans as meat sourced...Take  1 a day if not iron defficient, and 3 tablets a day if you are, easy one with each meal if you want......they swallow easy as are oblong shaped which go down easy......
cedarstar
on 3/14/12 2:49 pm - Manitoba, Canada
Where do you buy Heme iron? Can it be purchased in a store or does it have to be ordered online?
Thank-you! 

hw-251

sw-225

surgeon's goal-170

my goal-135

mermaidoz
on 3/14/12 10:59 pm - Canada
Proferrin( heme iron) is available in drugstores and can be ordered online from Proferrin.com,  If your medical insurnace covers it on prescription that would be great, as is more expensive than mineral iron.

Google "Proferrin"...I don't know of any generic versions of heme iron
rbb825
on 3/14/12 2:38 pm - Suffern, NY
go to vitalady.com it is called tender irons with vitamin C - they are 60mg capsules and have the vitamin C in teh capsules.  they make a chewable if you need but they are half the dose and odnt' have the C in them.  Depending on your level, determines how many you need but since you have had a problem with needing iron in the past, I would start on 2 of the 60mg per day to start and go from there = this is around where my NUT starts all patients.  Once you get your iron and ferritin, we can make adjustments.  You can actually take up to 5 of these per day if needed.  This iron is highly absorbably, easy on the stomahc, non=constipating and pretty cheap especailly withthe vitamin C already in them.  Alot of irons you find have vitamin C in them but this is the only product I have found with the proper combination = 200mg of vitamin C per 30mg of iron.

You also need to know that you cant' take iron within 2-4 hours of calcium or thyroid medication

LiciaLou
on 3/14/12 2:45 pm - Central, FL
RNY on 08/29/12
Thank you so much for asking this question. I was getting really concerned when I saw that Iron seems to be a pretty definate requirement in the vitamin roster. I get soooo miserably sick from iron pills & was wondering if I was going to have that to look forward to once I get my surgery.

I'm still new to this whole concept ... can you drink oj (just enough to get the iron pill down) right after the surgery? That's how I had to take them when I was pregnant or I would be throwing up not long after & for the rest of the day.

Alicia ~ HW 307 ~ SW 287 ~ GW 135 ~ CW 160

JenK130
on 3/15/12 9:43 am
RNY on 01/30/12
Thanks everyone!