Plateau Question

PeakTek78
on 3/14/12 9:34 am - Liverpool, NY
Hi everyone.  Had RNY on 1/10 and on the day of surgery I weighed 381 lbs (all time high of 397).  Today, I'm 313.  But, the issue is that I've been 313 for two weeks.  I know plateaus happen, but should I start to worry?  I have been eating very healthy food, three meals a day, very small portions (obviously), etc.  Am I doing something wrong?  Is this normal?  Any advice you may have would be appreciated.  Thank you!

-Pat
Linda-P
on 3/14/12 9:50 am - Farmville, NC
RNY on 01/11/12
You're a day ahead of me.  You have lost 68 pounds in 9 weeks, that is awesome.  You're body is just playing catch up.  My weight loss has slowed dramatically in the past 2 weeks.  Increase your protein, fluids and see if that helps.  I have added Omega-3 oil because my skin, eyes, and scalp were dry.  I think that helps to keep things moving.

Good luck and continue following your surgeon's plan.

LJ1972
on 3/14/12 9:55 am - FL
no, you're fine. Just keep on plan and move /exercise when you are cleared for it.
I had lost about 11lbs at my 6wk check in.... it's turning out ok

COURAGE TO START, STRENGTH TO ENDURE, RESOLVE TO FINISH 
                              HW 353 SW 317 Original GW 180  Current Wt  170 
                               First 5k 59:18; 5k PR 32:06;  1st 10k 1:20:27; PR 1:08:36
                                                    1st Half Marathon 2:48

Pensacola Double Bridge Run 15k- 1:47:34
                                                  Three Sprint Triathlons

poet_kelly
on 3/14/12 9:56 am - OH
No, you shouldn't start to worry.  You are right that plateaus happen, but a plateau is when you don't lose any weight for a month or longer.  So you don't know yet if you are experiencing a plateau or not.  This is just the way weight loss works.  You might find it less stressful if you don't weigh yourself so often.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

matthardegree
on 3/14/12 10:07 am - McDonough, GA
I literally came on tonight to pose the same question!  I had RNY surgery on 2/28/12 and so far have lost 32 pounds (if you count the week before surgery when i did my liver shrinking diet).  For the last 7 days i have lost maybe 3 pounds total.  I checked with my doctor's office today and they told me that i am not getting enough protein in my diet.  You need at least 65 grams of protein each day otherwise your body goes into starvation mode and retains all of it's weight.  I just got back from GNC and got some stuff to make protein shakes as well as little protein shots that you drink.  I am determined to get this ball rolling again.  I started at 355 just over 3 weeks ago and i lost 29 in 2 weeks and only 3 in the last week!

PeakTek78
on 3/14/12 10:16 am - Liverpool, NY
I tried those protein "bullet shots" and they literally made me ill.  I found them to be completely gross.  My RD told me to do at least one extra thing a day with regard to protein ingestion.  By extra, I mean beyond my normal food intake.  So, I've been doing a Carnation Instant Breakfast with a 1/4 cup of dry milk added.  That's about 20g of protein and, combined with my normal diet, I'm probably between 50-60g a day.  But, to each their own - maybe you'll like the shots!  
LJ1972
on 3/14/12 10:41 am, edited 3/13/12 10:41 pm - FL

Most protein "shots" do not have the right kind of protein and you won't absorb it... so it is a waste of money as a rule. We have to have Whey Protein

Awesome job, by the way :)

COURAGE TO START, STRENGTH TO ENDURE, RESOLVE TO FINISH 
                              HW 353 SW 317 Original GW 180  Current Wt  170 
                               First 5k 59:18; 5k PR 32:06;  1st 10k 1:20:27; PR 1:08:36
                                                    1st Half Marathon 2:48

Pensacola Double Bridge Run 15k- 1:47:34
                                                  Three Sprint Triathlons

matthardegree
on 3/14/12 10:20 am - McDonough, GA
i am also going to go back on the Bariatric Advantage shakes this week too.  the doc just asked me to start eating some canned white meat chicken.  a little can has about 25 grams of protein so i will mix it with some soup or something.  I am having a hamburger patty this evening with some lite cheese and dipping it ever so lightly in the new reduced sugar heinz ketchup (only 1 gram of sugar per serving).

paranoidmother21
on 3/14/12 11:11 am - Lake Zurich, IL
Some advice about the plateaus/stalls/slow downs in weight loss that helped me was thinking about this whole process as if I was attempting to run up all the stairs in the Empire State Building. If I did that, I would need to stop to catch my breath and recoup a bit before continuing.

Your body is doing just that when it hangs on to weight for a couple weeks. Keep following your plan, let your body catch its breath, and you'll lose again.

Rebecca
Circumferential LBL, anchor TT, BL/BR, brachioplasty 12-16-10 Drs. Howard and Gutowski

Thigh lift 3-24-11, Drs. Howard and Gutowski again!
Height 5' 5".  Start point 254.  DH's goal: 154.  My guess: 144.  Insurance goal: 134.  Currently bouncing around 130-135.

dori M.
on 3/14/12 12:05 pm - MD
 You've lost more in 9wks than I have in 4 1/2 months

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 369 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 284 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 253 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 23 replies · 178 views