10 year success or failure question???

cajungirl
on 3/19/12 6:36 am, edited 3/19/12 6:36 am
There are both in my experience.  I know two ladies and one man over 10 years out that have gained less than 15 lbs.  In addition I have two family members that have gained probably between 70-100 lbs back (still down 100 lbs from their heaviest) and another lady that has probably gained somewhere around 40-50 lbs.

WLS is not a golden ticket to go back to pre-op choices.  Once the pouch extends to allow more intake it takes diligent choices to maintain.

BTW, I'm 7 years post-op so not over 10 years yet but maintaining below goal with little effort although I do make sure to be proactive in my choices 80% or more of the time.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

exohexoh
on 3/19/12 11:32 am - West Chester, PA
 i'm not even a year and a half out, but my friend's step-dad is pretty far out (definitely more than 5 years) and has kept his weight off. she said he still follows the rules.

<3 jen <3

<3 starting weight: 252 <3 goal weight: 135 <3 current weight: 151 <3

RNY: 9/27/10 <3 Extended Tummy Tuck w/hip & thigh lipo: 6/6/13

kellogal
on 3/19/12 1:42 pm
Thank you ALL for your terrific answers. You've really helped me. Of course, I know that the RNY is  "a tool, not a cure" for obesity.
LJ1972
on 3/19/12 2:22 pm - FL
There is a lady in my church who is about 11-12years out.... she looks amazing!
MarilynT
on 3/20/12 1:17 am
I'm here, I'm here.....surgery date was Oct. 2, 2001 which makes me 10+ years post op. I am currently within 10 pounds of the low end of my maintenance weight range which in my book is a SUCCESS.

I have had regains; three of them, actually, never more than 30 pounds. They are always associated with periods of high stress in my life (death of my beloved mother, husband relocating for work and me left behind to sell house, etc.). As soon as I make a commitment to get back on track and get back to doing what I know I should be doing all along (protein first, whole grain carbs and health fats 90% of the time) I am able to lose the weight with little effort.

Here's what I believe helps me the most: #1 being connected with others who have had WLS, either in person or online. That is why, after a brief break from OH I came back and now make a point to check in almost every day.NEVER ALLOW YOURSELF TO FORGET THAT YOU HAD BARIATRIC SURGERY!!  #2 Eat like a normal person....just not like your normal, pre-op self. I am a high calorie, non-bariatric eater; have never relied on protein supps, etc. If you eat with me, you would never know I had bariatric surgery.

I would be happy to answer any specific questions; message me!

Marilyn (now in NM)
RNY 10/2/01
262(HW)/150-155(GW)/159(CW)
(updated March 2012)

Most Active
Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 70 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 295 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 301 views