How did you know when you was approve for surgey?Was it by phone or by letter

carolina_girl69
on 3/23/12 11:00 pm - NC
RNY on 07/12/12
The reason Im asking is because I got my letter stated that i willbe undergoing surgery in the near future.And that the surgeon fee will be $550 and it also states that it got to be paid b4 authorization can be released to hospital to schedule surgery.Did anyone received a letter like this.
hoosierapple
on 3/23/12 11:20 pm
Revision on 06/05/18
 Was the letter from the surgeons office or the insurance company?

carolina_girl69
on 3/23/12 11:38 pm - NC
RNY on 07/12/12
It was from the surgeons office
hoosierapple
on 3/23/12 11:50 pm
Revision on 06/05/18

I would think it means that once you pay the surgeons office program fee, and they feel you are ready and qualified, then they would then contact your insurance company to start the review/approval process.   That is similar to how my surgeons office works. 

I found out about my approval by calling my insurance company to check the status after I knew that the review had been submitted, I also received a letter from the insurance company as well as a call from the surgeons office, 

Good luck!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/23/12 11:48 pm - OH
 My surgeon's office called me as soon as they were notified by the insurance company. My surgeon did not have a special fee that had to be paid first.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

carolina_girl69
on 3/24/12 1:11 am - NC
RNY on 07/12/12
Ok thats what i was wondering about the fee,because u know when you have family thats already had the surgery and you ask them questions its like they dont know or dont want to say how much they paid out of pocket.Then when i get the letter and i started reading it to them thats when they say oh I got a letter like that too.Ok why didnt u tell me that when I asked.But according to letter i am approved but i have to pay surgeon fee then once thats paid then my appt will be setup for surgery.
hoosierapple
on 3/24/12 1:28 am
Revision on 06/05/18

To err on the side of caution, I would double check with the surgeons office to find out exactly what it means.    

Good luck on your journey!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/24/12 5:19 am - OH
As long as the letter specifically says you are approved for surgery by your insurance, then you need to pay the fee to get on the surgery schedule.  I would be SURE you have approval BEFORE you pay the fee, though.  You can call the insurance company to verify.  (I did get a letter from the insurance company, but it arrived several weeks later... just a couple of days before I had the surgery.)

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Michele816
on 3/24/12 1:01 am
I got a letter from the insurance company stating I was approved with the surgery date-which i knew because i had discussed with my surgeons office prior to submission of my paperwork.  I also knew before my doctor did. 

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 302 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 347 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 306 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 303 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 75 views
Recent Topics