Newbie Post Op Quesion

safetymedic
on 3/25/12 2:41 am - Diamondhead, MS
RNY on 03/08/12
I have a question, since all surgeons and Nuts seem to have different ideas as to a post op diet. Is it ok to eat if I am able to tolerate? I still get the majority of my protien from my shakes but for example today I had  egg salad, and tuna fish. Seperate and only about 3 or 4 oz. I became very full very fast but I am in no pain and actually feel nourished. I am not trying to push or anything I just wanted to give it a try but I am about two weeks away from being allowed those things. Am I possibly doing any damage that I do not know about. Please all advice or wisdom is accepted.

paranoidmother21
on 3/25/12 2:44 am - Lake Zurich, IL
About all I can tell you is that my surgeon and nut set up each progression plan individually to meet the physical status of each patient - so from my perspective, you may be pushing it. Other people may tell you differently.
Rebecca
Circumferential LBL, anchor TT, BL/BR, brachioplasty 12-16-10 Drs. Howard and Gutowski

Thigh lift 3-24-11, Drs. Howard and Gutowski again!
Height 5' 5".  Start point 254.  DH's goal: 154.  My guess: 144.  Insurance goal: 134.  Currently bouncing around 130-135.

missjann
on 3/25/12 2:44 am
No, you're not doing any damage. You might give your surgeon's office a
call and let them know that you have advanced your diet a bit. They may
well give you their blessing to move ahead.  I came home on soft foods
and did not do liquids post-op except in the hospital.  Good luck!
    Jan

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/25/12 2:46 am - OH
 No, you are not doing any physical damage to your pouch by eating things ahead of your surgeon's schedule.  If that were possible, those of us who start eating soft foods just 3 days after surgery and solid foods just a week or so out would be in deep trouble.  I am sure someone else will address the issue of compliance, though...

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

safetymedic
on 3/25/12 2:50 am - Diamondhead, MS
RNY on 03/08/12
That is kind of what I was thinking Jan, I was told by the nut that the reason for the progression of the food density is because we have basically brand new stomachs. We were giving our stomachs time to heal. As a medical professional I also know that if my stomach recieves something that it does not like it immediately and forecefully rejects it. Nice to have a little back up though. Thanks

Cleopatra_Nik
on 3/25/12 2:52 am - Baltimore, MD
Like you said, every surgeon and NUT is different. But from what I've seen, most at least start you out in a pureed phase (that's what mine did) and I am not sure canned fish would fit into that because of the density. But again, I'm not sure. I mostly did oatmeal, really soft scrambled eggs, etc in my soft foods phase. After two weeks I was given the all clear to eat what I could tolerate (which wasn't very much).

When you say you felt nourished, does that mean satisfied?
MrsLitch
on 3/25/12 2:53 am - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12
I think I would ask my doctor or Nut what they think and why they have the plan they gave you. It may be for optinal weight loss out of the gate, or it could be anything.

I have done a lot of head scratching as I read the boards and look at what my doctor told me I would be doing after surgery and wondered myself why there is such a big difference. It is a question I will be asking him on Wed. when I see him.
poet_kelly
on 3/25/12 3:01 am - OH
Since some surgeons recommend patients eat those things very early out, you're probably not doing any damage.  Your surgeon would be the best person to ask about any possible damage, though.  Even though some people eat those things early out without problems, your situation may be different for some reason that we aren't aware of on this board.

It also seems to be the case that some people can tolerate solid foods much sooner than other people, so when surgeons give blanket recommendations for everyone, they don't always seem to fit.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Michele816
on 3/25/12 3:05 am
I would caution you to be careful as the progression that is recommended is for you and your pouch to have time to heal.  Moving from liquids, to purees, to soft foods, to solids also helps you learn to pace your eating and get to know how your pouch responds to different foods and densities.  Ultimately, I would discuss this with your nut/doctor. 

safetymedic
on 3/25/12 3:11 am - Diamondhead, MS
RNY on 03/08/12
Yes when I said nourished I meant satisfied, not stuffed just fully fed. Thank you all for your responses I will call my nut tomorrow and ask her.