intro and pre-op questions

mmeadows
on 4/2/12 2:55 pm - OH
RNY on 05/22/12
I've been considering gastric bypass for over a year now. I backed out of the first doctor I went to, but recently I just got my surgery date for laparoscopic RNY- April 24th. Honestly, I wish people in my life were more supportive. Most people in my life seem to think that I should save my money and just lose the weight naturally, but I'm a classic yo-yo dieter. I usually gain back what I lose, plus some.  I'm currently 364 pounds, have hypertension, osteoarthritis, sleep apnea, and type 2 diabetes. I've been having problems even walking and standing lately, and so exercise is almost impossible at this point. I feel like I need wls as something that will kick-start a healthy lifestyle for me- one that I can't go back on. But I'm worried about surgical complications (even though no one has ever died from it at the hospital I'm going to). And thus, I have a few questions for you guys. Number one, did you have any complications during or after your surgery, and if so what were they? And secondly, how did you justify your life choice to others, especially those who weren't so understanding about it?
poet_kelly
on 4/2/12 3:00 pm - OH
Yes, I had some complications.  I developed severe pneumonia after my surgery.  I later developed gallstones and now I have reactive hypoglycemia.

I don't justify my choices about medical treatment to others.  I don't have to.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

(deactivated member)
on 4/2/12 3:38 pm - AZ
And you have support system right here!!!!
THE_life10
on 4/2/12 3:40 pm
RNY on 03/26/12
I'm only a week out but your story is very close to mine. I had type 2 diabeties..hypertension..sleep troubles..etc.

So far I dont have any complications and have no trouble getting in my fluids and protein.

How did i deal with people who didnt support me ?? ( i have a mother who felt that i was taking the easy way out)..I said forget them and decided I was going to be in that hospital last monday with or without them..my mother finally came around and was there to support me..i was so shocked !

Height: 5'9 Hw: 285 Sw: 272  Cw: 167 Surg. goal: 165

1m: -20 2m: :-18 3m:-10

4m:-12 5m:8 6m:-4 7m:-3 8m-10:-28

seattledeb
on 4/2/12 4:33 pm
 I'm so glad you are going to have surgery. You have some serious co-morbidities. Your quality of life is not going to be good if you don't have surgery. I will tell you as a woman who weighed 378 and could barely walk a half block that there is another world waiting for you.
And it's your journey. It's not those non supporters. You are saving your life. You will have a new life.
Trust in you. In the meantime please read and research. Ask questions. 
Keep coming back.
Having Rny surgery saved my life but more than that..it gave me a great new life.
Deb T.

sweet-tart2012
on 4/2/12 4:57 pm - TX
RNY on 02/16/12
Your story is just like mine with your medical problems.  I am only 6 weeks out and fill so much better.  I am one of the lucky ones with no problems so far.  I did have the surgery site start to turn red, but the doctor told me to put neosporin on it  and that helped.  Everyone I know has backed me 100% but they also have seen my quality of life go downhill over the years.  I wouldn't worry about justifying myself to others; do what you have to do for yourself.  Glad you have a surgery date!!  Best wishes  

Jenspunky
on 4/2/12 5:36 pm
RNY on 01/16/12

I had tachycardia post op (still do) and my BP went up after surgery (never had hypertension before) but by the time I left the hospital the BP was under control and I didn't need any medication for it.  I also had atelectasis (collapsed lung) in both lungs, lower lobes.  My O2 sat would drop down into the 80's without oxygen.  So, I stayed an extra day in the hospital, and we had a scan done to rule out a pulmonary embolism.  I went home on O2 and stayed on it for about a week and a half.  It wasn't that bad.  What gets me now is the heart rate and severe fatigue with exercise/stairs.  It wasn't as bad before surgery, which doesn't make a lot of sense since I've lost over 60 lbs.  The doctors figured it was just the shock of the surgery, as I had a stress echo done, and everything looked fine.  I'm in a program once a week where I go and am medically supervised while I exercise.  I just have to build up my endurance again and keep at it.

Thus far the only regret I have is not "training" for this surgery like you would a road race.  I wish I had really worked myself hard in the weeks before my surgery.  I strongly suggest you do just that, because it will really help your recovery.  

As far as justifying my choice, I don't have to do that, and neither do you.

I have mild sleep apnea, which was discovered during the required pre-op sleep study.  That is my only co-morbidity.  You look so young to have hypertension, osteoarthritis, diabetes, etc.  That and the fact that you have problems walking and standing speak loudly enough.  

I've found that my friends were more supportive than my family.  While I appreciated that, I honestly would have done this if absolutely no one was supportive.  No one else has to live in this body, just me, and so it's my choice what I do for my health. 

Good luck, I think you've made the right choice!

~Jenna 
RNY 1/16/12

BWB
on 4/3/12 12:57 am
 "Thus far the only regret I have is not "training" for this surgery like you would a road race.  I wish I had really worked myself hard in the weeks before my surgery.  I strongly suggest you do just that, because it will really help your recovery. "

This is my favorite reply and it is so true.   I've said this before and I don't know if it sinks in or not but even if you have to exercise sitting in a chair, it's to your advantage.  Start slow and in short spans then work up to as much as you can do.  You will be able to tell the improvement by how far you can walk or how easy it is to climb stairs.  

It is perfectly normal to worry about complications, we all do at some point in the process.  
Type II diabetes is no picnic and all the other complications that go along with excess weight.  It isn't a surgery that I recommend to everyone but as a diabetic (still, but better) it has improved my life tremendously..   Don't listen to you non-supportive friends.  Just put them aside for now.  

Good luck.

mmeadows
on 4/3/12 6:30 am - OH
RNY on 05/22/12
I know that a lot of people have told me to exercise to prepare my body for surgery, and I feel bad that I haven't done more but honestly a lot of the time I don't feel I have the energy. The only thing that doesn't cause pain atm is my stationary recumbent bike. I try to get myself on it once a day for at least 10 minutes, or try to at least play on the wii for a while.

The support I've gotten from this website so far has been amazing, and I'm thankful to have found it. As for the unsupportive people in my life, I've basically let them know that I appreciate their concern, but I'm still going through with the surgery.
hoosierapple
on 4/2/12 8:31 pm
Revision on 06/05/18

Welcome!  Congrats on making such an important decision for yourself.   My surgery is in 4/30 - we will be going through it about the same time.   

Good luck....  We are all right her with you!

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 208 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 257 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 304 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 265 views