New to constipation!! Help please I am miserable!

mimijo
on 4/9/12 10:32 am
Hey crappy subject, LOL!  I am 4 months out and now have constipation.  I do not go to my doctor until the 17th.  How do you all handle this uncomfortable subject?  I have taken laxatives for about a week but know I can't continue that long-term?  Any suggestions and is this an ongoing thing for us post op or just an occasional thing?  Would love to hear some suggestions!

Mimi Jo

Trish S.
on 4/9/12 10:37 am - Upstate , NY
Sorry for your pain!  I take Miralax every day and 3 stool softeners every night....all okay with my surgeon!  Good luck to you....I am 4 months out also!  Hope you fel better soon!
“I think everyone should be told they’re beautiful until they believe it.?

Debbie A.
on 4/9/12 10:39 am, edited 4/9/12 10:40 am - Aurora, OH
I learned the hard way to drink my fluids, but I also take a Colace morning and night and drink a dose of miralax every day!  Constipation really sucks!!  

Sherry T.
on 4/9/12 10:40 am - GA
RNY on 05/22/12
I can only suggest what I know from experience since I have not had surgery yet so I hope someone will weigh in....but I use miralax....it's granules and you can mix it with any liquid...I prefer coffee or sf hot chocolate because it dissolves but I have seen my husband drink it down with mt. dew...blah!  I works pretty quickly and can use it everyday if needed.  That's been my little savior.  lol...hope it helps!!! 

Sherry
wendydettmer
on 4/9/12 10:41 am - Rochester, NY
once i upped my fiber intake, i didn't have a problem anymore. i get about 40 grams of fiber a day all from natural sources.

Follow my vegan transition at www.bariatricvegan.com
HW:288    CW:146.4   GW: 140    RNY: 12/22/11  

sknd34
on 4/9/12 11:22 am - West Fargo, ND
If I have a day where I don't go, then I take 3 Senokot-S that night and that will make me go the next morning.
Original weight 285. Lowest weight 210. Revision weight 249. Size 24W
Current weight 210 as of February 23, 2012!!!
Current size 16-18 as of February 25, 2012!!!
ShebasMom
on 4/9/12 11:24 am
Revision on 07/05/16
Since 6 weeks out, I've taken Miralax, 2-3 colace and 500mg Mag oxide a day. All are OK to use daily by my surgeon. I've always drunk > 64 oz fluids a day. I've tried benefiber and prune juice and it didn't work.

HW322 SW296 GW150 LW196 

RNY 8-29-11

Revision to Distal bypass 7-5-16

SW262 GW165 

John 3:16

Suite1
on 4/9/12 11:59 am - Dayton, OH
It took some experimenting, but I ended up taking 3 Colace a day - still do 19 months out, especially because of all the calcium.  I also take 3 Benefiber chewables a day.   Man it was miserable for a while there and I just had a refresher course a month ago due to the pain killers from my plastic surgery.  I had to up the Colace to 4 a day for a while.   My surgeon and others here recommended the Miralax but I never took it.

Good luck figuring it out, but make sure you drink as much water as possible, as that helps as well.
HW:  280  SW:  262.5  CW:  150
  GOAL!!!!   One week shy of my surgiversary!

LBL, TT, BA on 3/2/12 - Dr William Rigano  

Melissa G.
on 4/9/12 12:38 pm - Littleton, CO
RNY on 02/27/12
Hi, I am with you.  I am only 6 weeks out and it has not been fun.  Miralax is one of the most mild laxatives.  My Dr said it wasn't strong enough.  I am drinking Metamucil  3 times a day.  Also when it got so bad, he told me to use a suppository, I used Dulcolax.  Dulcolax works great, but don't take it unless you can be near the bathroom. 
Good luck.

tulips52
on 4/10/12 12:37 am
 Unfortunately, it is one of those things they keep on the hush hush before our surgery. I had a heck of a time in the beginning. I was so close to having to go to the E.R. because I was afraid of taking Miralax. I take 2 stool softeners and Miralax daily and occasionally I have to add in a suppository. You'll learn what will work for you. I also had to increase my fluid intake to 100oz daily or I'm in big trouble!!

Most Active
Recent Topics