What's going on with me?

artroxy blue
on 4/11/12 12:49 pm - MA
RNY on 08/14/12
 Ever since I had my meeting with the therapist last week, I've been really...sad. I'm not sure what's going on, but I was feeling very optimistic before this encounter. Now I'm questioning if this is really the right thing to do? Why am I going through this now?

I couldn't wait to have my surgery, but I've been overcome with sadness about the process. Am I grieving or something? Have others gone through this phase pre-op? I'm seriously considering contacting my psychiatrist to alter my meds...

Thanks for your help!
mskris8199
on 4/11/12 12:53 pm
RNY on 03/06/12
I had a horrible experience with my psych eval.  I was so discouraged and confused, I was in a funk for a couple of weeks.  I finally decided a few months into the process to find a therapist, one who wouldn't judge me and wasn't invested in my surgery in any way to help me deal with my issues.  it was the best decision I've ever made.  I'm still seeing my therapist and feel secure knowing there is someone there to help me if I have any emotional issues come up after surgery.
HW: 292 lbs.  GW:160 lbs.  Dream Weight: 140 lbs.

Kat Kat
on 4/11/12 1:03 pm - AZ
 Change can be hard, and the reality of this decision might be sinking in. Lets face it, this is a huge life altering change your planning on. If you can mange it, try to make quality time for yourself, and listen to what your mind and body are saying to you. It's okay and quite normal to be sad sometimes. Cry if you want, it washes the sadness away, and allows the rainbow to shine inside you. I'd also make a pro and con list to have something tangible if your questioning your decision. Keep going to therapy to help work through this issue if you need to.

I hope you find peace of mind again,
Kat

poet_kelly
on 4/11/12 10:53 pm - OH
I don't know why you're sad.  I can think of lots of reasons you might be, though.

You are getting ready to change your life forever.  That can be scary, even if it's a "good" change.  For however many years, you've been obese.  You've been eating lots and lots of food.  Now you're getting ready to say goodbye to the obese you.  You're getting ready to say goodbye to overeating.  You're probably thinking of foods you won't be able to eat anymore, although in reality, most people can eat most foods after RNY. 

Was this your psych eval or an appointment with your therapist?  A good therapist could really help you through this process.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

artroxy blue
on 4/11/12 11:23 pm - MA
RNY on 08/14/12
 It was for my psych eval. She does work with surgery patients in addition to her Bipolars, etc. but I think I'd rather see someone else. 

I am planning to see a therapist who specializes in eating issues. My other therapist that I saw before specialized more in family therapy, and she was a tremendous help. I think I need more specialized care, especially for this process. 

artroxy blue
on 4/11/12 11:26 pm - MA
RNY on 08/14/12
 Thanks everyone for your responses. I've been thinking about it, and what you all have said is definitely true. Also, there are some other things going on with my mother, which has always been a struggle. I'll get it worked out. I'm feeling much better this morning, so here's to a new day!
Most Active
Recent Topics