One full week out...

lesserman
on 4/11/12 7:23 am - Chicago, IL
...what a difference a week makes!

One week ago at this time I had been wheeled from the ICU into my room in Feinberg Pavilion where I felt nauseated and had some dry heaves for the last time, did some breathing exercises and then promptly went to back to "sleep".

The first night was not at all a restful sleep...I didn't mind the every four hours of the nurses taking my vitals, it was that I wasn't fully clear on how to work the bed so that my knees were elevated sufficiently...until approx 4 am my lower back was tightening up so badly that I couldn't sleep and it was pain that the medication wasn't touching...however, once I got the bed properly configured, I was OUT!! I didn't even notice when they came to take vitals.

I never realized how slowly time passed while I was a patient...I would fall asleep (or so I thought) and wake later thinking I had slept for an hour, maybe two...but in reality, only for maybe 20 minutes...weird, huh? Oh, but I came to love the pain pump!!

Now, I'm home, incorporating "soft" food into my diet, drinking like a fish (but not alcohol) and getting ready for my daily walk around the U of C!

God, how I love springtime on campus!!
Weight at Heaviest: 320 lbs. 
Weight at Surgery:
283.6 lbs.

Everyone is entitled to my opinion...

Jennifer M.
on 4/11/12 9:52 am - MN
RNY on 02/17/12
 Glad you are feeling better!  I remember the whole hospital time thing (and the beds!).  It's so much better to be home!

lesserman
on 4/11/12 10:27 am - Chicago, IL
Thanks, Jennifer!!

Y'know, I don't think I'll ever be able to sleep flat on my back ever again...I must be old because I'm starting to think that Craft-Matic bed would be great for my wife and me (pretty sure she would not agree)...or a sleep number bed...anything where I'm at an incline...I feel it is a much better sleep...
Weight at Surgery:
283.6 lbs.

Jennifer M.
on 4/11/12 11:23 am - MN
RNY on 02/17/12
 LOL  I wanted a craft-matic adjustable bed when I was about 25.  I love the idea of being supported in bed, while I watch TV or read, and then being able to adjust my bed so I can roll into the fetal position on my side.

As for the sleep number bed, we've had one for over 10 years, and I have mixed feelings about it.  My husband gets his extremely hard bed, and I get my soft one, but for cuddling, he ends up rolling down his hill and jabbing me in the back with his bony elbows.

Maybe I just need to put some weight on him.  (Right now, he weighs about what my goal weight is.)

lesserman
on 4/11/12 11:54 am - Chicago, IL
Good luck with that!
Weight at Surgery:
283.6 lbs.

Most Active
Recent Topics