For those looking for a dairy-free, sucralose-free alternative...

artroxy blue
on 4/15/12 1:07 am - MA
RNY on 08/14/12
 I came across this protein powder today, and thought I'd share the stats for people. I just ordered a sample, so we'll see how it goes. 

myvega.com/products/vega-one-shake/nutritional-info
Kat Kat
on 4/15/12 1:46 am - AZ

You can read about this about Whey Protein vs Pea protein  at http://www.stayfitcentral.com/buyers-guides/whey-vs-pea-prot ein-powder/. If you decide to change from a whey protein to pea protein, be sure to discuss it with your doctor, so your labs can be monitored more closely.

Kat

Whey Protein vs Pea protein

In this article we put whey to the test against pea protein powder. Each type of protein powder is compared to other based on several different characteristics. They includes the proteins: grams of protein per scoop, flavor, amino acid content, where is comes from, and much more. Read on to learn which of these protein powders is best for you.

We used the product information from Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Protein and Olympian Labs Pea Protein Powder for our comparison. These are popular supplements that use quality ingredients.

Avg. Grams Of Protein Per Scoop

• Pea Protein Powder: 25 grams
  • Whey Protein Powder: 24 grams

How Does It Taste?

• Pea Protein Powder: very neutral taste which is easily flavored with fruits, cocoa powder, etc.
  • Whey Protein Powder: flavored whey proteins taste very good, it’s protein powder other flavored protein powder.

Which Has A Higher BV Value (how much of the protein is your body able to utilize)?

• Pea Protein Powder: 65%
  • Whey Protein Powder: 96%

Branch Chain Amino Acids Per Scoop – amino acids which play a key role in muscle building

• Pea Protein Powder: 4.8 grams
  • Whey Protein Powder: 5.5 grams

Where Does The Protein Come From?

• Pea Protein Powder: yellow split peas.
  • Whey Protein Powder: whey is formed during the process of making cheese and yogurt.

In Which Flavors Can I Get Each Protein Powder?

• Pea Protein Powder: plain and vanilla.
  • Whey Protein Powder: 18 flavors which range from the basics (chocolate and vanilla) and the exotic (Chocolate Mint, Mocha Cappuccino, and Tropical Punch.

How Much Does Each Cost (based on prices at Bodybuilding.com)?

• Pea Protein Powder: $.64 per scoop.
  • Whey Protein Powder: $.71 per scoop.

Who Should Drink This Of Protein?

• Pea Protein Powder: anyone who doesn’t eat animal protein, people who have to avoid dairy products because of an intolerance or allergy.
  • Whey Protein Powder: men and women who want to get more high quality and easily digested protein in their diet.

What Do Customers Think?

• Pea Protein Powder: Bodybuilding.com members give it a 6.9/10 or Good rating.
  • Whey Protein Powder:

Potential Downsides To Each

• Pea Protein Powder: because of its lower Biological Value (BV) not as much of the protein will be utilized by your body. This means you may have to take more to get the same benefits as you will from less whey protein.
  • Whey Protein Powder: if you are lactose intolerant or have to avoid dairy protein you can’t drink this type of protein supplement.

Conclusion
After comparing each of the characteristics it appears that, unless you don’t eat dairy products whey protein powder is the better of the two. This primary reason is its higher biological value. This is important since it means more protein and amino acids will be available for your body to use to build muscle and function optimally.

A couple other things from this comparison that give whey the nod is that it’s available in more flavors, has additional healthy nutrients like lactoferrin which pea protein doesn’t, and mixes better in water.

artroxy blue
on 4/15/12 2:38 am - MA
RNY on 08/14/12
 Thanks for posting this article! 

I know whey has a better BV%, but someone was on here a few days ago looking for a dairy-free alternative. Also, I'd like to have an alternative for long-term use. I don't have a problem with the protein powders now, but I'm sure that will change after surgery. 
wendydettmer
on 4/15/12 1:56 am - Rochester, NY
 i love vega one.  i use it every morning.

i also like the sun warrior protein powder and it is a *****eaper

Follow my vegan transition at www.bariatricvegan.com
HW:288    CW:146.4   GW: 140    RNY: 12/22/11  

Most Active
Recent Topics