seeing surgeon again tomorrow

cuddles010982
on 4/16/12 12:17 pm - Mt
I go back to my surgeon tomorrow to see what he wants to do about an infection that showed up on Friday by pouring (literally) out of my drain hole (had the drain removed a few days earlier). I am worried that he may want to put a new drain in, my last drain was so painful and I had it for 4 weeks. He told me putting a new drain in would be a surgical procedure, which would mean my 3rd surgery in a month. I am soooo sick of all of these complications.

i also think I am developing a stricture. This past week, no matter what i try to swallow it all comes back up. I have been living on ice chips and SF popsicles. My weightloss has stalled for the past few weeks, could this be due to not getting any protein? Or the infection? Or a combination?

I hope tomorrow goes well and i won't have any more set backs.

~heidi

~Heidi
The quest for excellence is a life long process
IrishIze
on 4/16/12 12:33 pm - NJ
Oh gosh Heidi - I"m so sorry you're going through all of this.  I had a lot of troubles after my original RNY in 2004 - developed an ulcer, fistula, and stricture.  At a month out, I had to spend another week in the hospital and was released with a PICC line.   Awful....

BUT - it got better.   I hope you don't have a stricture and it's just all to do with stress.  I also hope you don't have to have another drain inserted, but if you do, it's necessary and this too shall pass.  I know, easy for me to say, but it's true.  It's so difficult going through it now but they will get it straightened out.  I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.   Hang in there and try to at least get in a few sips of protein drink.  

Please keep us posted.....
Irish......  

rbb825
on 4/16/12 12:43 pm - Suffern, NY
I am so sorry that you are going through this.  I hope all goes well at the surgeon and that he can figure out what to do for the infection.  It is sometimes a good thing that it is pouring out because that means the infection is draining - you dont want the infection, but you need it to come out.  when I had a wound infection, my surgeon had to reopen my wound and literally squeeze out the pus - it poured out both pus and blood - it was pretty gross and not too preasant but had to be done.  You dont want the stuff in you.  then I had to pack it daily to absorb the stuff into special sterile guaze strips used just for this purpose.  The wounds slowly healed but until then, the guaze that I pulled out pulled out daily was full out infection.  so, the fact that you are getting it out through a tube is a great thing.

The new drain may be one put directly into the stomach and maybe he will give you a tube into your remnant so you can get nutrition also - you need protein.

If you suspect a remnant - ask him to do an endoscopy while there to see if there is one, so he could fix it. 

If you can swallow liquids, try getting isopure from GNC - it is 40grams of protein per 20 ounces of liquids.

With all you are going through -this could slow your weight loss due to malnutrion also, by not eating enough, you are slowing down your metabolism.  Once things get back on track  - PM me and I willl try to get you back on track.

good luck and I hope things get better.  I know what it is like to suffer complications with multiple surgeries and it isnt fun.  I am thinking of you.

rbb

Most Active
Recent Topics