Shrimp ****tail sauce...any recommendations?

lesserman
on 4/16/12 11:16 am - Chicago, IL
So I was at Treasure Island (the main grocery in Hyde Park) shopping for, among other things, shrimp ****tail sauce....and as I read the ingredients on each of the major brands (Heinz, Hoffman House, etc.) I noticed that sugar or high fructose corn syrup was consistently among the first three (3) listed. I don't think that bodes well, for me.

So...are there brands that have been used by others here that are "safe" (meaning, not so high in sugar that I put myself at risk for dumping)?

I would prefer to not have to make my own, but if necessary, I will.

Thanks in advance.

Weight at Heaviest: 320 lbs. 
Weight at Surgery:
283.6 lbs.

Everyone is entitled to my opinion...

karianne
on 4/16/12 11:23 am - Marlborough, MA
Revision on 04/05/12
I found one in my supermarket that was in the refrigerator section.  Gold's ****tail sauce (I bought x-tra spicy).  It has 5 calories, 2 carbs and only 1 gram of sugar.  I haven't tasted it yet but I'm super excited to try it soon.  I don't tend to like a lot of sugar free stuff that has artificial sweeteners so I was happy this was all natural.  I'll let you know how I like it.  Kari

HW-244, SW-234, CW-207
4/8/04 Lap-band-Goal weight for 5 yrs, Tummy Tuck 6/23/08
Lap-band Leak 4/2011, Revision to Gastric Bypass 4/5/12

lesserman
on 4/16/12 11:30 am - Chicago, IL
Thanks, Kari!!

I'm guessing that given where you live, good shrimp ****tail sauce isn't as much a condiment as it is a necessity for living...since I'm also guessing that going without shrimp, lobster, salmon, ocean perch and other seafood is not an option unless one is allergic...and even then, it had better be life-threatening...or compensated for by providing the occasional tickets to a BoSox game or better yet, the Bruins...am I right?

Weight at Surgery:
283.6 lbs.

karianne
on 4/16/12 11:41 am - Marlborough, MA
Revision on 04/05/12
LMAO you know it!!

HW-244, SW-234, CW-207
4/8/04 Lap-band-Goal weight for 5 yrs, Tummy Tuck 6/23/08
Lap-band Leak 4/2011, Revision to Gastric Bypass 4/5/12

happy_baker
on 4/16/12 11:31 am
RNY on 02/15/12
You can make your own pretty easily.  Use a can of tomato paste, a spoonful of ground horseradish, and a pinch each of salt and Splenda.  You can also just blend organic ketchup and ground horseradish. The organic ketchup won't contain corn syrup and should be relatively low in sugar. 

Also, keep in mind that some of the sugar you see on the nutrition panel is natural fructose from the tomatoes, which normally doesn't cause dumping. 

Good luck! Hope you can find something delicious. I love ****tail sauce! 
_._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. 
Check out my video blog!  www.youtube.com/user/HappilyShrinking/videos
Highest weight: 269.  Surgery weight: 233.  Goal weight: 144, and then we'll see.. 
lesserman
on 4/16/12 11:34 am - Chicago, IL
Thanks, Charlie C!!

BTW, I had opportunity in responding in another thread to use the phrase, 'human dirigible' in a way that was natural, not contrived...thought you might want to know! 
Weight at Surgery:
283.6 lbs.

mirlyn2012
on 4/16/12 11:47 am - FL
RNY on 02/20/12
 I eat the ****tail sauce in the shrimp rings without problems and I dump pretty easy. I think like Charlie said some of the sugar is from the maters. I dip, no scooping.
      .oOo.oOo.oOo.oOo.Miranda.oOo.oOo.oOo.oOo.      
IrishIze
on 4/16/12 11:38 am - NJ
I get Heinz No Sugar Added ketchup and add horseradish to it....
Irish......  

lesserman
on 4/16/12 12:07 pm - Chicago, IL
Really?!!

That sounds simple enough!!

Thanks, Irishize!!

Weight at Surgery:
283.6 lbs.

Tonya499
on 4/16/12 5:35 pm - Riverton, UT
 I've eaten several types of ****tail sauce.  No dumping.

Start weight 226. Surgery weight 218 on 1/6/12    
Most Active
Recent Topics