yo-yoing on my surgery date-anxiety yikes

Chipples5
on 4/20/12 12:58 am
I'm still a newbie and finding my way.  I just wanted a place to rant where people will understand what I am dealing with. 

I found out on the 13th that my surgery is scheduled for the 30th.  I was so excited.  Then little by little everything started getting crazy.  I just moved into a new apartment that costs significantly more that the last and with only 2 weeks notice it doesn't allow a lot of time to get prepared financially or otherwise.

Then I told my boss on the 13th when my surgery is scheduled and all she could say is "This isn't gonna work out."  She expressed that there is no way that I am going to return to work after just 4 weeks out because she knows tons of people that have had all kinds of complications and infections.  She's a self proclaimed expert on the subject all of a sudden.  I then told her that it is a laproscopic procedure and her response was "Oh it is?!?!?! I have never heard of that before. I can't believe that they do it that way!"  As if to say that I am a total liar and have no idea what I am talking about.  I then asked her if I leave on the 30th and am out for 4 weeks, am I going to have a job to come back to.  Her response was like this "Weeellllll, you see, I can't be here for 4 weeks by myself and do all that I need to do to prepare for our show.  I'm gonna have to hire somebody temporarily for the time that you are out.  However, I am not gonna be able to find someone who only wants a job for 4 weeks so........"  It seems pretty clear to me that what she is trying to say is NO.  Then I asked her if I postpone it until after our show to the end of June if it would make a difference and she said "either way is not a good time so just do it now."

I work for a small family owned company.  I work part time (33 Hours a week).  We only have 8 employees too.  I don't qualify for FMLA, Aflac or even unemployment. 

I was all super duper excited to change my life and now I feel like it is all wrong.  If I have the procedure then I will have no pay for a month.  I now have a more expensive place to live and then no job when it's all over.  I just keep praying that the universe will take care of me.

WhoIWantToBe *.
on 4/20/12 1:02 am
RNY on 01/10/12
Ack!  No wonder you're stressed!

Can any of the work be done from home?  I was able to start an online class at 6 days post-op.  I wouldn't have been ready to work full time in an office, but at home I could nap, work on my laptop while laying on my couch, etc.

- Barb, who is at GOOOOOOAAAAAAL!

HW: 274  SW: 244  GW: 137 CW: 137!
              Keep on swimming!  Keep on swimming! 

MichelleNC
on 4/20/12 1:04 am
 What do you do at your job? Desk work or standing? I haven't had the surgery yet but 2 of my friends who work in offices were back a week after surgery and when I say a week one had surgeryWed went beckon Monday. She didn't have leave either and needed the money. Good luck!

Michelle
Did the happy dance onto the Loser's Bench March 18, 2013!

Visit my blog at http://skinnyundermyfat.blogspot.com/

nfarris79
on 4/20/12 1:05 am - Germantown, MD
 I'm so sorry you're going thru all that! But it sounds like you have a good perspective - things have a way of working out that surprise you, so just go ahead with taking control of your health.
Do you have family that will help you out in a pinch? The financial impact of being out of work without pay is something that we sometimes overlook because we're so focused on getting our health back - but 4 weeks may be an overestimation. I'm a therapist in private practice (so, no work = no pay) and I was out 2.5 weeks- - I was not a happy camper until 5 weeks postop but managed. Then again, I'm kinda a wuss when it comes to discomfort.....

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

karianne
on 4/20/12 1:27 am, edited 4/20/12 1:32 am - Marlborough, MA
Revision on 04/05/12
Wow that's a lot to handle. I am 2 weeks post op and returning to work Monday although I definitely could have returned earlier I'm a teacher and this week is spring break anyway. My cousin had GB 4 yrs ago and returned in 10 days and my best friend returned to work in 7 days. Everyone heals differently. When I asked my surgeon he said for a laprascopic GB he recommends about 2 weeks. Good luck! Karianne

Edit to include: I'm not sure what I would do with myself if I had 4 wees off, after 8 days I have been out shopping, going to the gym etc. I can't sit around the house anymore I may go insane!!

HW-244, SW-234, CW-207
4/8/04 Lap-band-Goal weight for 5 yrs, Tummy Tuck 6/23/08
Lap-band Leak 4/2011, Revision to Gastric Bypass 4/5/12

Chipples5
on 4/20/12 2:13 am
I can't do any work at home unfortunately.  I'm really an overpaid receptionist (but don't tell them that ha!).  My main responsibilities are to just answer the phone, put literature packets together, answer the very occasional email and process the mail.  I don't have to get out of my seat very often if I don't need to.  I told my boss that I have the potential to come back the following Monday or the week after that and she just seems like she doesn't care.  She's known about me going for this surgery since January but now all of a sudden it's not ok.   I only work 8am-3pm.  I'm hoping that I can come back to work after a week or two providing there's a job to come back to.
Angs_Happily-Ever-Afte
r

on 4/20/12 2:36 am
I had surgery on 4/4 & was back at work on 4/12.  I really could have come back to work sooner, but my hubby wouldn't let me.  I have an office job also.

My Story Begins Today! (3/25/12)
Angs_Happily-Ever-After

cajungirl
on 4/20/12 5:26 am
If your job is a desk job it's very possible you could return to work after a week (probably 2) if you don't over push yourself.  You will be tired and want to just crash in the evenings when you get home......take a nap if needed.  During lunch set an alarm and take a siesta.

I hope this all works out for you.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 338 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 372 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 335 views
What's on your Monday Menu?