Kelly?

BellaSaid35
on 4/22/12 4:19 am
 Wow! Thanks for telling me that!!!

Rny 2.14.12

rbb825
on 4/23/12 3:34 pm, edited 4/23/12 3:40 am - Suffern, NY
why would she need to add another 500mg to 3 petites 3 times per day - it is already 1800mg which is perfectly fine - you dont want too much calcium if you dont need it

and if you take any iron with the multi, you wont absorb any of the iron or the calcium

ShebasMom
on 4/22/12 4:58 am
Revision on 07/05/16
I don't know if it's better, but I buy my calcium citrate from VitaLady.  It has 500mg per capsule, so you take 3-4 a day.  It also contains vit D, mag oxide and mag citrate, all which help with calcium absorption. The mag can also help with constipation!

HW322 SW296 GW150 LW196 

RNY 8-29-11

Revision to Distal bypass 7-5-16

SW262 GW165 

John 3:16

rbb825
on 4/23/12 3:49 pm - Suffern, NY
now I am going to confuse you even more - vitalady's cal-mag-D3 = are 500mg but only 145mg of elemental calcium, so you need to take 3 of them in order to get the necessary 500mg of elemental calcium per dose.

From what I have been told, mag oxide is for constipation but magnesium citrate (tablets or capsules) are for calcium absorbtion.  You are supposed to take half your calcium dosage in magnesium per dose.

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/22/12 5:20 am
Also since your multi has as much as 500 mg calcium - you probably do not absorb any iron you take when you take it with your multi.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

poet_kelly
on 4/22/12 6:16 am - OH
Which brand of multi has that much calcium?  Most have 200 or maybe 300 mg at most - and most have calcium carbonate, which we don't even absorb.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/22/12 11:00 pm
Ask Bella.. She said her multi has 500 mg calcium. I do not know which one.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

rbb825
on 4/23/12 3:39 pm - Suffern, NY
you dont want a multi with 500mg of calcium - it is calcium carbonate which is the wrong type - so you wont absorb it but it will in the long run if you take enough of it, cause kidney stones and we are already at a high risk post op.    If you take 500mg of calcium carbonate and then take your citrical at the same time, it just causes too much calcium at one time a nd there is no way of knowing what you will absorb.

citrical is the best other than the bariatric chewables but you want a different multi - centrum silver but not for women

Winnie_the_Pooh
on 4/22/12 4:20 am
The calcium in multis are usually not citrate therefore we don't count it. You need to increase your calcium citrate. 

Winnie

poet_kelly
on 4/22/12 6:15 am - OH
More calcium.  We need 1500-2000 mg and you're only taking 800 mg.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 362 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 332 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 196 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 117 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 0 replies · 7 views
Recent Topics