Kelly?

BellaSaid35
on 4/22/12 3:20 am
 Can you just tell me if I need to take anything else?

Am-multi, b12, iron
Midam- 2 citrical petites
Lunch- b complex, vit d
Dinner-2citrical petites
Bed-multi and b12

I am 10 weeks out. Feeling good. Jut wanna be sure I am getting the necessities.

Rny 2.14.12

(deactivated member)
on 4/22/12 3:36 am - AZ
Thank you for putting that up. I was wondering how I should adjust my vitamins....you rock!
ShebasMom
on 4/22/12 4:00 am
Revision on 07/05/16
I'm not Kelly, but I can help you. Have you had vit D or B12 levels done? Levels need to be done before starting these supplements. Will you have labs at your 3 month checkup? What dosage are you taking of each supplement? You need 1500-2000 mg of calcium daily and I'm not sure if you're getting enough with the petites. Is there vit D with your calcium or iron in your multi?

HW322 SW296 GW150 LW196 

RNY 8-29-11

Revision to Distal bypass 7-5-16

SW262 GW165 

John 3:16

BellaSaid35
on 4/22/12 4:12 am
 I havemt had my labs done yet.

Rny 2.14.12

ShebasMom
on 4/22/12 4:48 am
Revision on 07/05/16
wait for your labs before starting extra vit D or B12. I'm almost 8 months out and haven't taken any B12 supplements other than what's in my multi.  I have a bottle on the shelf waiting.  :)  My D was very low (22) pre-op and I was took 50,000 dry D3 for 6 weeks.  It went to 205!  It took 2 months to come down to 100 and the only D I was taking was in the multi vits. For 5 weeks,  I've been taking it with my calcium also and will recheck levels next week.

HW322 SW296 GW150 LW196 

RNY 8-29-11

Revision to Distal bypass 7-5-16

SW262 GW165 

John 3:16

Lady Lithia
on 4/22/12 4:54 am
I disagree with waiting until labs are done before taking D or B12

You WON'T absorb any B12 in a vitamin pill that you swallow. Your regular stomach has something called INTRINSIC factor that allows the body to USE the B12. The pouch has little or none of this, so you need to take it sublingually, transdermally, or via injection. B12 deficiency can result in permanent irreversable damage to the body.

MOST people are deficient in vitamin D. I wouldn't recommend doing daily 50,000 but It doesn't make sense to not take any. I would recommend a daily regimen of 5,000 iu until labs are checked and then to adjust accordingly.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

ShebasMom
on 4/22/12 5:14 am
Revision on 07/05/16
Bella's 3 month labs are in a few weeks. If her levels were normal pre-op, they are not going to drop to critical levels by 3 months.
As a RN, I understand the absorption of B12. I realize that I am not the norm, but the only B12 I've taken are in my multis and the 3 month and 6 months levels were>1000. That's why I said I have them on the shelf waiting (because I know the bottom is going to fall out soon... :)  )
I foolishly followed the advice of some peeps on this forum, when I took the 50,000 vit D and I have no hard feelings towards them.  I also believe that I probably will be taking more Vit D (5k, 1-2x wk) after next weeks labs.
Lady Lithia
on 4/22/12 6:14 am
I respect your professional opinion. I also agree that taking 50K vitamin D prior to any labs that tout the need for that level of supplementation is not necessarily the best plan. But just because my iron levels have NEVER dropped in four years doesn't mean I would tell others to skip Iron supplementation (Yeah, I don't take it, I should, but I don't, and some day I might pay the piper). B12 sublingual is the best form of supplementation, and I can't see any reason NOT to take it. I don't believe that there is any sort of toxicity in taking extra, and since there ARE bad side effects to NOT having enough, it's a foolish risk. Particularly as there is evidence to support that the reference range on most labs for B12 have a lowest acceptable level well into the range where people can engender PERMANENT damage. It's so easy to have doc say "Your levels are fine" when in truthful fact they are NOT. Skipping the B12 can be a huge problem, and I think that the advantages of taking sublingual outweigh any disadvatanges (the only one I can think about is cost).

Also vitamin deficiencies seem to truly be different for different folks. I was not good with my B12 (or any other vitamins) and my doc thought I was having deficiency issues that were causing neurological symptoms. I started to supplement (sort of like closing the barn door after the animal has escaped) but when evaluated, it turned out that even though I'm pretty rotten at daily supplementation, my levels were still good. (1400). But others' reaction to deficiencies can be dramatic and definitive. I also found that if supplement at 2,000 iu for the Dry D3 daily, and my vitamin D remains relatively stable, but if I skip them my levels do drop fairly dramatically. My blood work always demonstrates whether or not I'm doing a good job with the vitamin D (none of the other vitamins seem to show up as deficient)

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

(deactivated member)
on 4/26/12 12:48 am - AZ
i dont think taking the 50000 iu of vitamin D is bad (this is a cancer fighting vitamin), if your doctor prescribed it. i tookit twice in my life because i was low. Vitamin D gets stored in the fat. When you are heavy and overweight your body does not use it right. thats why we take more so our body has it when we need it. At least this is what was told to me by 2 of my doctors.
poet_kelly
on 4/22/12 6:20 am - OH
I agree with you.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
Recent Topics