protein supplements

Tamikaallen85
on 4/23/12 3:38 am - OH

I havent had my surgery yet but I am looking for protein supplements to try prior to surgery I have bought samples of Nector The twisted cherry and the road side lemonade what is some protein that u like I also heard that things that u like before surgery will be different after surgery is that true?

kathyshrinks
on 4/23/12 5:58 am - WA
RNY on 01/18/12
I like Nectar chocolate truffle and strawberry mousse, and I also like About Time birthday cake flavor.  I mix them with So Delicious unsweetened coconut milk, which is only 50 calories per cup.

kathyshrinks
on 4/23/12 6:02 am - WA
RNY on 01/18/12
Another thing you might consider is finding a vanilla that you like, because you can easily change up the flavor for variety by adding fruit, SF syrups (like Torani), or a few drops of the flavoring bottles that you find in the baking aisle.  I like adding a banana and run flavoring for a Bananas Foster shake.

One problem with the Nectars is that they are already pretty sweet, and adding some Torani syrup takes it beyond my sweetness tolerance level.  that's why I use the About Time birthday cake for my base. 

Cherokeesage
on 4/23/12 10:03 am
RNY on 02/24/12
I had a lot of protein brands to try after surgery because my Dr has a store in his office and you can buy a post op box that contains one of about everything they sale.  I also had 3 large tubs of my favorite in 3 flavors.  I could drink any protein with my band.  However, after the RNY, I can't stand any of them.  Thus I am using an unflavored protein from GNC and flavoring it with frozen fruit and DaVinci SF syrups.  Anytime you can get samples do try them after surgery before investing in large amounts of any one protein.  Best wishes in your upcoming surgery.

Banded  Oct 2008:  290       
RNY Feb 2012:        245    
Dr's set goal:            170 reached Oct 11, 2012
My goal:                     160  reached Dec 1, 2012
Today :                       145-150

I am half the person I was in 2008.

MsLadyErica
on 4/23/12 10:24 am - Orlando, FL
RNY on 03/26/12
 I haven't found a protein drink I could tolerate yet and I'm 4 weeks out. I'm lactose intolerant and I despise whey. What's the brand of unflavored protein you use? I may try it. 

" Put God first in all you do! "

Cherokeesage
on 4/24/12 1:40 am
RNY on 02/24/12
I am also lactose intolerant.  Prior to surgery used Lactose free milk but even that bothers me now.  I'm using an unflavored from GNC mixed in coconut milk.  It is whey but thus far I'm doing okay.  I'd seen posts that use an egg powder protein for those that can't use whey or prefer the egg pwdr.

Banded  Oct 2008:  290       
RNY Feb 2012:        245    
Dr's set goal:            170 reached Oct 11, 2012
My goal:                     160  reached Dec 1, 2012
Today :                       145-150

I am half the person I was in 2008.

ksbrnmsn
on 4/23/12 10:38 am
RNY on 03/27/12
I am 4 weeks out too and lactose intolerant. The only protein I can seem to stomach so far are chocolate or chocolate mint barriatric fusion and unjury chocolate. Strawberry and vanilla turn my stomach. I add a Tbsp of peanut butter to thicken it up some which helps a lot.
KSB        
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/23/12 11:35 am - OH
Yes, sometimes your tastes change, especially when it comes to protein shakes, after surgery.  (My tastes did not change for anything EXCEPT protein bars and shakes.)  Everyone's taste is different... even if ten people say they LOVE something, you may find that you HATE it... so your best bet is to go out and buy a bunch of samples to see what YOU like.  Vitalady (www.vitalady.com)  has lots of samples available, as do www.unjury.com, www.chikenutrition.com, and www.jayrobb.com.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
Recent Topics