Permanently damaging the stoma...question...

lesserman
on 4/25/12 12:18 pm - Chicago, IL
So, last night I posted that I had eaten too fast and that I was feeling lousy but I loved it as I took the discomfort as an indication that I hadn't stretched out my pouch....when what I really meant to convey was concern in re: the stoma.

I'm now 4 weeks post-op and I can count on one hand the instances (three, to be exact) where I have eaten just a little too much and felt overfull...

Just to establish:

My dietary guidlines have, since week #2, allowed me to eat, at most, 2oz. or as much as 1/4 to 1 cup (depending on the food) of any given soft, mushy foods such as:

- soup 
- yogurt 
- cheese 
- cottage cheese 
- refried beans 
- Rice Krispies 
- eggs 
- shrimp 
- saltine crackers (which I soak in the soup until they're soggy) 
- toast
- shredded chicken/turkey breast

and I do adhere to them. I chew until I almost don't have to even swallow...I let at least 30 minutes pass (closer to 45 minutes) before I eat after drinking/drink after eating...

Are the three incidents over the past 4 weeks enough to do permanent damage to the stoma?

Will it not, like the pouch, allow for a slightly greater volume of food to pass through over time? If so, does that vary from individual to individual much like what can be tolerated by one at a given point not be tolerated by another at that same point?

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Weight at Heaviest: 320 lbs. 
Weight at Surgery:
283.6 lbs.

Everyone is entitled to my opinion...

poet_kelly
on 4/25/12 12:22 pm - OH
Overeating would be more likely to stretch the pouch than the stoma, and it would take more than three instances and it would have to be eating more than just a little too much.

Stretching the stoma would be more likely to happen if you regularly don't chew your food well and so big chunks are pushed through the stoma.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Dragonfly Dreamer
on 4/25/12 12:27 pm - Canada
What is the stoma? I was never taught anything about a stoma. I know about the pouch and how the whole system works, but I just dont know of that term. If anyone has the time could they let me know??

thanks
Winnie_the_Pooh
on 4/25/12 12:39 pm
It's the area between the pouch and the small intestine.

Winnie

rbb825
on 4/28/12 3:41 pm - Suffern, NY
like we told you the other night, you havent stretched anything.  Yes, some people over a long period of time will stretch there stoma from overeating alot, eating and drinking at the same time, some will tell you drinking carbonation but I dont agree with that - it hurts at first but by 8 or 9 months, I had no problems and have drank carbonated beverages since and my pouch and stoma are tiny.

You dont have to wait 45 minutes from drinking to eating and then from eating to drinkin g- that isnt necessary.  My surgeon told us 15 minutes from drinking to eating and 30 minutes from eating to drinking.  I did that until I got to goal and now I dont wait after drinking to eat but I do wait after eating to drink because the fluid wont go down and the food gets stucks

Most Active
Recent Topics