fustrated at dr. and self

bearvet2
on 4/26/12 1:44 am - MI
Went to see my dr. yesterday and I have gained 3 lbs. since last year.  I know this I have been fighting with these 3or 5 pounds for 3 months.  I tried to explain to my dr. that yes I know that I am still very over weight but that I am very happy at where I am at.  I have lost all most 150 lbs, since I started this. Do I need to lose more? yes I do, but right now I can keep up with my kids and can walk with out hurting and am down several sizes.  I felt good about what I have been doing till I went to this appt. now I feel like I am failing...I watch what I eat, exercise, take my vit.  All of my meds that I was on before surgey have decressed I know that I am doing well, but like I said after my visit I feel like a failure now.  Not sure what to do now.  Sorry for just venting but if anyone has any thoughts on this I would like to hear them.

Kim S.
on 4/26/12 1:56 am - Helena, AL
From your profile I see you are almost 4 years out..........I think the only person that truly needs to be pleased with your results is you.  If you are happy with your weight loss and healthier, that is all that matters.

Find another doctor that will share your goals.  Do not let someone else's opinion determine your success.

Cherokeesage
on 4/26/12 2:00 am
RNY on 02/24/12
I looked at your blog and see you had the sleeve procedure Sept 2008.  Thus 150 pounds in 3 yrs loss.  (CONGRATS that is like losing a whole person)   I don't know what the average loss is on a sleeve pt.  This is your journey so it depends on what you set as your goals and what wt do you need to be around to be healthy for life.  I am 57 and when I hit 280 did not have the bone structure to carry it.  My feet, knees and back were screaming in pain.  I'm presently at 214 and this is still to much for my body.  I do not want to weigh over 180 but I set my goal for 160 in hopes of getting off HBP and HC medication.  I will have to take arthritis/fms medication for life.  I was on it before I gained the wt.  I was extremely thin in my early years and do not want to be that thin ever again.  YOU ARE NOT A FAILURE WHEN YOU LOSE 150 pounds.  I hope instead it motivates you to get going again.  

Banded  Oct 2008:  290       
RNY Feb 2012:        245    
Dr's set goal:            170 reached Oct 11, 2012
My goal:                     160  reached Dec 1, 2012
Today :                       145-150

I am half the person I was in 2008.

AlohaJen
on 4/26/12 4:23 am
RNY on 09/05/12
Hi Barb, I just read your post above and was wondering how you do with the Arthritis meds?  I am hoping to have my RNY in Sept and I do have terrible Osteo Arthritis. That is really the only thing that worries me about the surgery..... if you do take NSAIDS, does it bother your pouch?  If not, what do you take to keep the pain/inflammation down?  I am 277 now and hope to get down to about 150 after surgery.... any advice you can give is appreciated.

HW 304   SW 258  CW 199  GW  160?

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/26/12 2:36 am
Nobody can make you feel like a XXXXX if you do not consent to that.
I guess you agreed with your doc that in the last year you did not get better...
Some people start WLS process where you are now...

Today - that weight loss - may be OK with you and your body - but tomorrow - the extra stress on your joints, your heart you organs - may be too much to handle.  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Jennifer M.
on 4/26/12 2:41 am - MN
RNY on 02/17/12
 Do you want a doctor who pushes you to achieve the best results possible or the doctor who simply says what you want to hear?

You've done a GREAT job losing 150 pounds, and he knows it.  You don't need to feel like a failure.  BUT... you CAN decide to lose more, and this tool can help you achieve and maintain weight loss even four years out.  Who is going to tell you that, if not him? 

Our feelings of failure come from within.  Before WLS, every time I met with a doctor, they'd tell me I need to lose weight.  I'd feel like a failure, because I had TRIED to lose weight.  Finally, I realized they were telling me a fact.  They don't know what I've tried or not tried.   But it is a medical fact that I was obese, and then morbidly obese and I needed to lose weight.   So, why contest it?

It's also a medical fact (from your surgeon's perspective) that it is better to be at a normal weight rather than overweight or obese.  From his perspective, how happy you are at your present weight is no doubt understandable given your achievements, but in his experience, you could be happier.   Perhaps he could have said it better, but I think it was his responsibility to say it.  

Now then, the question is how do you process this information?  Do you consider yourself a failure?  NO!!!!!!!!  Do you  decide to take his advice and lose weight?  Well, that's a much more difficult question that is entirely up to you!  If you choose not to lose weight, he will say the same thing next year, and you'll have to decide what to do with that information again.   

I don't know if you watched My 600 Pound Life, but the surgeon in that case always spoke up if the patient wasn't at goal.   Some of those conversations were not easy, and the patients reported leaving those appointments feeling like a failure, even though they'd lost a significant amount of weight.  

I hope you don't mind me expressing an alternative viewpoint.  My intention is to help you, not to make you feel like a failure.

tracy L.
on 4/26/12 2:50 am - PA
RNY on 05/21/12
I think 150 pounds is amazingly awesome!!! As long as you are not falling into old habits, I think you have done GREAT!!! LIVE FOR YOU, not the doctor Great job and keep it up!!

JaneJetson
on 4/26/12 1:34 pm
RNY on 05/07/12
Am just wondering, what happened that you stopped losing weight?  Does it have to do with the sleeve?  I have read some postings that patients are encouraged to have the the RNY or DS if they have a measurable amount of weight to lose.  I know this has to be difficult for you.  Would you consider a revision?  Sometimes we still need help.
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 55 replies · 429 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 356 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 357 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 282 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 6 replies · 161 views
Recent Topics