Feel like everything i eat gets me sick!

cuddles010982
on 4/27/12 12:51 pm - Mt
I feel like everything I eat makes me sick. I get stomach pain and diarreha. I am almost 7 weeks post op. I have had a lot of complications which has delayed me in eating, so I haven't eaten much yet. The only things I can eat without getting sick are cheese, chicken noodle soup, deli ham, cottage cheese, and a little bit of peanut butter.  Eggs, tuna, chicken, etc... makes me sick.

Is this normal at  7  weeks out?  Does anyone have any suggestions on what else to try?

Thanks,
~Heidi

~Heidi
The quest for excellence is a life long process
Coach2012
on 4/27/12 1:12 pm
I'm am about the same time post-op as you, and am in love with shrimp..so far they have been my #1 source of protein. They go down well, taste delicious, and I have no issues with them. I dip them in a little bit of ****tail sauce and go to town. Unfortunately it seems as if everyone tolerates foods differently, so what goes well for me might not go so well for you! So many things I've read on here that people are unable to eat such as lettuce, broccoli, pineapple, and certain types of meat I am able to eat with no problem, so it must just really depend on the person. The other source of protein I love is fresh fish. I drizzle it with a little seasoning, olive oil, and lemon juice, and then bake it. I love cod, tilapia, orange roughy, salmon, & halibut. That always goes down well and doesn't give me any issues. I've also made a type of broasted chicken dish with a FF gravy that is delicious, and I used the dark thigh meat of the chicken for a little bit higher fat but more nutrients. I've found that adding a sauce or gravy to meat allows it to go down better, as well as keeping it moist and tender, so you may want to try chicken or turkey made that way and see if you're able to tolerate it better. The other meal I love to make uses a product called Mountain Bread. It's this super thin tortilla/wrap, that you can do a ton of different things with. I'm not sure what groceries carry it, as I buy it at a local store, but I will cut it up into triangles and bake it so it turns into the thinnest/crispiest tortilla chips you can imagine, but without the fat and salt. Then I add cooked ground turkey with taco seasoning and melt some cheddar cheese on top, and can eat a few, and they are packed full of protein. Hopefully this helps!

JudiJudi T
on 4/27/12 5:56 pm
Can you try some refried beans or chili? I ate a lot of that early out.  What you're going through is normal - eggs are a dense protein and can cause problems for a lot of folks.  Chicken breast is dry and can be hard to eat.  You just have to experiment to see what works for you.  Can you try ground beef? For me that's one of the easier meats to eat.   It's very individual ... what works for one person doesn't work for another.  If something doesn't agree with you don't write it off forever either, try it again in a month or two.  We go through lots of changes over the first year and taste and tolerances change too.  Hang in there!  

Before/after pic in my profile.  
Surgery: Dec 2009, lost 100 lbs

tulips52
on 4/27/12 11:27 pm
Stick to the things you can eat w/o getting sick and then slowly incorporate the other foods as tolerated. I didn't have as many choices as you at that time so I think you are doing wonderful. It's a slow process for some. 

Most Active
Recent Topics