Melting Weight???? Whats this?

newstartforme
on 4/30/12 12:12 pm - TX
Ok I am days away from being 6 weeks post op and I have lost 32 lbs as of sunday my weigh in day. My question is Everyone I talk to about WLS says the wight just melts off of you. Well I am waiting! I know 32 lbs is alot of weight but I don't feel like its just melting off like most talk about. I am anxious to get back into alot of clothes in my closet but its just not really happening. Yes my clothes are geting looser but to say its melting off...NOT! So if this really does happen when does it? I am having eating issues and I am not sure if its head hunger or real hunger. I feel like its real cause my stomach starts hurting. So I eat and no more get in 5 maybe 6 bites and start felling nausious so I quit. then in no time I am hungery again so I go to the doc on Wed and I will see what he has to say about it.

But any thoughts on the melting off would be appreciated!
Shari    
poet_kelly
on 4/30/12 12:15 pm - OH
Define "melting off."  32 pounds in less than six weeks is pretty normal.  Who is telling you it should come off faster?  Other WLS patients?  Your bariatric surgeon?  Your registered dietician?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

newstartforme
on 4/30/12 12:19 pm - TX
Other WLS patients, Kelly.
Shari    
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/30/12 12:34 pm - OH
I don't know too many people who have had RNY who would categorize their weight loss as "melting off".  Perhaps in comparison to doing it without surgery on some plan like Weigh****chers where you lose 2 pounds a week....

How fast is "melting off"?

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Nycm
on 4/30/12 12:40 pm
RNY on 02/21/12 with
I had surgery on Feb 21 and lost 14 pounds before surgery and 25 since surgery. So i must be losing REALLY slowly. My surgeon is happy with my loss. I am down from a tight 18 to a very nice fit of a 14. Your loss seems fine to me. I too have to eat multiple small meals rather than three larger meals that keep me satisfied for a long time.

Best of luck to you

Christine

Autumn Jensen
on 4/30/12 12:51 pm - Lind, WA
RNY on 03/06/12
IT ALL DEPENDS AND EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT! DON'T COMPARE YOURSELF TO OTHERS! I JUST HAD A SECOND EGD DONE TODAY BECAUSE I WAS CLOSING UP AGAIN. I WAS ALMOST CLOSED AGAIN BUT GOT IT TAKEN CARE OF BEFORE I COULDN'T KEEP WATER/LIQUIDS DOWN. SINCE SURGERY I'VE ONLY LOST 38 LBS AND I HAD MY SURGERY ON MARCH 6TH. I'VE TALKED TO MY MOM AND DAD AND THEY THINK THAT IT IS BETTER TO LOSE IT SLOWLY TO BE ABLE TO WORK ON THE LOOSE SKIN ISSUE/WORK OUT AND NOT HAVE A TON OF HANGING SKIN RIGHT AWAY. MY HIGHEST WAS 395 LBS. I AM NOW DOWN TO 292 JUST BE HAPPY WITH LITTLE GOALS. I HAVE LEARNED THAT IF I SET LITTLE GOALS THEN IT IS A MUCH BETTER FEELING FOR ME.

MsBatt
on 4/30/12 1:16 pm
You need to look at the per centage of your excess weight you've lost, not the number of pounds. You started out with 142 pounds of excess weight (282-140=142), and you've lost 32 pounds, or 23% of your excess ALREADY! Keep this up and you'll be at goal in another 4 months!

But, but, but---'Jane' had surgery the same day you did, and she's lost 43 pounds!

Ah, but 'Jane' started out with an excess weight of 200 pounds, so in the most important sense, she's not losing as fast as you are---she's only lost 21% of HER excess weight.
(deactivated member)
on 4/30/12 1:17 pm - waukesha, WI
Really?  I would say that 5 pds a week, almost a pound a day is melting off.  Normal weight loss is 3-5 lbs a week.  How fast did you think you were going to lose?  I would say you are doing darn good!
Adrianne_Dawn
on 4/30/12 3:29 pm - WA
RNY on 05/21/12
 I'm with everyone else - It took me a month and half (6 weeks) to lose 18 pds.  That was 3lbs loss each week with a strict diet and 4 days at the gym.  

If you are losing 5lbs a week not doing anything that's pretty great! 

Don't stress so much!! Certainly don't compare yourself to everyone else here. Everyone is different and lose weight differently. 

Congrats on your weight loss! 

Zaniiaim
on 4/30/12 4:14 pm - CA
 We are both sort of light weights so it isn't as fast as someone who started over 300, that's just the way it is when you have less to lose, your body is less inclined to give it up :). Please stop comparing, I finally did this and feel so much better about my "small" loss of 27lbs since day of surgery.  Also remember most people show their weight loss from pre surgery loss as well as post.  That could be a few added weeks in some cases.  We are just so different!  Follow your rules and you'll see results :)

Aimee
RNY 3-1-12

RNY Revision 10-4-18

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 347 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 233 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 340 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 270 views