2 yr's out and needing some help

anthonyashlee
on 4/30/12 2:34 pm
Hi I am 2 yrs out and am about 146-149 I would still like to get down to about 135 can anyone give me any advice on how to lose that extra weight being 2 years out I kinda get freaked out afraid of seeing the scale back up i have been working out about 3 times a week doing like an hr cardio  each time and the crazy thing is i went from 147 to 149 eek!!!!!!!! please any advice would be great!!!!!!
Mary Catherine
on 4/30/12 3:00 pm
 The lowest BMI after RNY is normally reached at 24 months.  Then the bounceback regain begins.  What really happens is that we start eating more at about one year and get away with it until the intestines learn how to absorb more calories.  That happens after 18 - 30 months and is the end of the honeymoon period.  

After the honeymoon period it is really difficult to lose weight.  Exercise probably won't do it.  Exercise is important, but the only way to stop rebound and lose any weight is to cut enough calories.  What helps me more than anything is daily weighing.  If I don't get on the scale every day, I go into denial and then am up five pounds when I finally do weigh myself.  As soon as I started daily weighing I was able to stop gaining and evenually lose my regain.  

It is easy to keep my weight off as long as I do not lose focus.  I don't give up any food groups or do anything drastric, but I do weigh daily and remind myself of my weight constantly.  The surgery is not a cure.  It is a chance to get on a level playing field with those who do not suffer from the disease of obesity.  But we still have to stay in control and out of denial.  Remember that 50% of RNY'ers regain 50% of their lost weight by year 5.  Don't be that statistic.  Be one of the people who get to goal and stay there.
anthonyashlee
on 4/30/12 3:07 pm
Thanks.... have you did the 5 day pouch test? i got down to 137 last summer but it was because i was not taking care of myself because my brother in law was in a accident.... i know my body is wanting carbs again and my eating habits are trying to go back to the old ways but i refuse to be a statistic i will be 2 yrs out may 5th!!! and i feel super!! i am just afraid of gaining again!!
dasie
on 4/30/12 8:07 pm
Thank you....excellent post.  I needed that too.  I weigh every day because I too can slip into the denial mode.  Some days I know I'm up and want to ignore the scale.  It is on those days I MAKE myself weigh always bracing myself for what is to follow.  I haven't weighed this morning, but I'm about to do it now.

Mary Catherine
on 4/30/12 3:15 pm
 I never did a five day pouch test.  Some people find it helpful.  I mostly eat fruit and vegetables, a very small amount of meat and low fat cheese.  I have a Quest Protein bar or two most days.  I drink a lot of water.  I will have small servings of any food I want.  But very small servings.  A sandwich will normally do me for four small meals.  The same with a restuarant meal.  I avoid milk, sugar, flour, potatoes, rice, pasta, bread, and most simple carbs.

Everyone has to figure out what works for them.  Track your food and your weight and figure out what you can live with.
dasie
on 4/30/12 8:14 pm
This is why I needed to read your post.  I'm up 3.5 pounds just this morning.  Yesterday was not that bad, but it was not that good.  I was not excpecting 3.5 pounds.  I have not seen this weight in weeks to maybe one month.  We can never let up.

(deactivated member)
on 4/30/12 4:08 pm - AZ
It could be your taking in to many calories, then again muscle weighs more then fat. so you could be gaining that muscle. Have you checked your inches yet?
plum21
on 4/30/12 9:29 pm - Miami, FL
 I just made a thread on this same topic yesterday. I wanna lose 15 pounds by my second surgiversary July 13.
I've gotten rid of all the carbs in my house. (crackers are my downfall...)
I'm increasing my protein and water for one week, two if I can do it.
I'm not going to drink wine for two weeks.
I'm going to increase my exercise by one hour a day. I already run and swim, I'm going to add some yoga in for flexibility.

So set a goal and a date and make a plan and stick to it.

Losing weight post RNY was so effortless. Now we're going to have to work for it. Let's see what we've learned.

clsino
on 5/1/12 3:43 am
Sometimes your body just doesn't get to the magical number you want no matter how you eat and how you work out.  See Nik's many posts on reaching the magical number and in my opinion she watches her food intake and works out regulary.

I never could reach my magical number no matter how I limited my calories and worked out.  My body just wouldn't do it.  In the end I just had to be happy with where I ended up.  I so wanted to be 10 pounds less on the scale then where I am at but my body just didn't want to give it up.  I am still in the normal BMI range, but in my head I desire to hit a certain number on the scale.  Logically it is silly considering where I started, but it is hard giving up the idea of weighing some ideal number.

Christy

Most Active
Recent Topics