Liquid Diet Pre-Op

Nichole9937
on 5/4/12 11:45 pm - ME
RNY on 05/07/12
So, I woke up this morning faced with 48 hours of clear liquids only. I am in this position because of my love of food...
My RNY Gastric Bypass is scheduled for Monday morning. I have to be at the hospital at 5:30am!
I am freaking out. I think I will be ok, but Im looking for any tips that anyone has to offer.
Stayce_C
on 5/4/12 11:52 pm
You can do it.  Think of the end result.  I had to do the liquid diet for 2 weeks before my surgery. Protein drinls and clear liquids only.

Popsicles are considered clear liquids. 
Noisy415
on 5/5/12 12:00 am, edited 5/5/12 12:01 am - NC
Hi Nichole,

You're exactly one week behind me. I had my surgery this past Monday, and yes, had to be there at 5.45! At least being an early surgery, you've got the best chance of getting to go home the next day. But don't push   it, if you don't feel ready to be on your own, stay. I didn't get my first meal tray until 1.30 Tuesday afternoon and at 3 they were telling me I could go home. I felt we hadn't had enough time to see how I would respond to the fluids, etc. so I stayed another night. By that point I was desperate to go home!

Tips for this weekend: stay busy. I cleaned out my closets of my biggest size clothes (26), boxed them up and got them ready to donate/give to coworkers. Wow, what a great feeling! Knowing I will never need clothes of that size again!

You could do some short walks, just to get yourself in that habit, because that will be a huge part of your life next week.

What makes you smile? Pictures of happy kids, animals, sailboats, sunsets? Maybe search for some pix of those things and make yourself a page or two of things that make you smile. I find that if I am prepared for tough times with my pix of animals, knowing that they will make me smile, I can do anything.

Make lists of things you're not going to miss, things you're looking forward to and post them for yourself.

Most of all, remember that this is something you're doing for yourself - to improve your overall health, live a better life and just plain feel better!

Best of luck!
Noisy
msmelodie9
on 5/5/12 12:04 am - Waldorf, MD
RNY on 05/21/12 with
I wish there was a like button for this
msmelodie9
on 5/5/12 12:01 am - Waldorf, MD
RNY on 05/21/12 with
you are doing good..I have to do 3 weeks of a liquid diet. This has been week 1 and I'm tired of protein drinks already. I know you can make it for 48 hours. You are almost there!!
MaleNurse78
on 5/5/12 12:34 am - Bossier City , LA
 I just started my liquid diet this morning, i have to do it for 10 days, but so far I have been up for 3 hours and doing ok, I guess it is just making it hour to hour. Best of luck to you!
(deactivated member)
on 5/5/12 12:40 am
RNY on 04/18/12
Keep your eye on the "prize."  :)
Dagne Tripplehorn
on 5/5/12 3:44 am - OR
RNY on 04/06/12
Oh, Lord, I hated that clear liquid diet. Was it only two days...??? It felt like a week.

That said, Day One was miserable. My own arm was starting to look delicious. By Day Two my poor mind and body had resigned themselves to no nutrients and it wasn't as bad.

My best advice: Sleep through it.

Nichole9937
on 5/5/12 4:47 am - ME
RNY on 05/07/12
I drank some decaf tea... lots of water...  some chicken broth (eww)... and some peach jello! 
Jello is going to be my savior!
I had a nice nap!

fireflymkz76
on 5/5/12 6:42 am - Blairsville, GA
RNY on 07/24/12

you think that's bad, I will have to be on a liquid diet for 4 weeks!

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 196 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 255 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 304 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 264 views