RNY OR SLEEVE??

candlelady
on 5/6/12 12:15 am
I'M SCHEDULED FOR A REVISION IN 2 WEEKS....STILL NOT SURE IF I SHOULD GO WITH THE SLEEVE OR THE RNY.  I'VE HEARD THE SLEEVE CONTROLS THE HUNGER HORMONE.  DOES ANYBODY KNOW IF THE RNY DOES THE SAME??
iisme
on 5/6/12 12:37 am
I've had my RNY for a little over 3 years now.  If we only ate when we were hungry we'd never need surgery.
I do know what you're talking about though. The sleeve is supposed to do something with the ghrelin (or however it's spelled)  so that you don't get hungry anymore. I really don't get that hungry now. Maybe if I haven't eaten in a few hours. I just need to listen to my body is all.

10 pounds loss pre-op
PakajunaTufty
on 5/6/12 2:59 am
I wanted the sleeve because it is an easier operation and less cuts in the stomach and overall better for recovery, but she said that she recommended that I have the RNY because one, the sleeve does not have many years backing it to say, yes, there haven't been many complications and also, they said that they didn't like the idea of me not having my stomach anymore at only age 20. They said you never know if in the future, we find something wrong with these surgeries and you need your stomach "hooked" back up. So we are doing the RNY because my old stomach will always be in there should I need it.
Lori P.
on 5/6/12 3:43 am - Kenosha, WI
Everyone's experience will vary....I really think you need to look at what about your eating is troublesome for you.  Also consider the lifestyle you will ne asked to follow for life (eating, supplements etc).  Another concern is what your insurance will cover. 

Some folks are just volume eaters and the sleeve is a great option.

I was a stress eater and a very heavy carb addict!  I needed both restriction and a surgery that followed a plan of very limited carbs.  I had RNY as that was what my insurance allowed.....The RNY worked well for me.  I DO dump ( only 30% do).....but that is a nifty reminder that carbs are NOT my friend!!!!   I have no hunger at almost 2 years out....I will sometimes get light headed or feel empty, but no unrelenting hunger. 

My daughter had the sleeve...even though she also is a heavy carb eater.....and she is currently struggling with that issue and getting to goal.

SW 212 / Goal 130 / Current 130

lish249
on 5/6/12 4:08 am - OH
RNY on 03/12/12
 I went with this same decision process and when I went to the seminar I was all for the sleeve. After listening to all the pro's of the Rny :
1. The dumping if you eat sweets (which if there was any sweets around me I would eat them)

2. The years of successful history. It made me nervous that there wasn't enough research and history with the sleeve.

3. That I know a couple at work and one had the sleeve and one had the Rny. The Rny person has had more success with weight loss. 

All these were major factors in my decision. This for sure is not the easy way out. Everyone is different and has to decide which procedure will work best for them. I wish you much success with the life choice you make. 

(deactivated member)
on 5/6/12 7:29 am
 I also have to make a decision I was sure of the sleeve at first but I have decided on the RNY now. 1. because it's paid at 100% for me, 2. I looove sweets and carbs and 3. I want a better chance at defeating possible diabetes and the RNY seems to be the golden standad for that because of the rerouting. Although I am considering asking maybe if the dr can take out the additional stomach because I want the benefit of less ghrelin.
THE_life10
on 5/6/12 9:50 am
RNY on 03/26/12

I to looked into the sleeve vs rny.  I was set in stone on having the sleeve the first year i spent doing my research . (yes it took me this long to be sure)

I came to the conclusion that with MY situation rny was the best choice. 

I was diabetic , hypertension -rny has better success overall with putting my diabeties in remission and lowering my bp.

I was a carb addict and LOVED sweets- rny was better in these regards as stated above

lastly, I needed to lose 125lbs or more- i was told by my surgeon that in order to lose this much within the first year rny would be best..I would be able to achieve this with the sleeve but from what he noticed was most people a year out dont reach their goals with the sleeve.  But they do in year 2 or 3..so its not impossible.

After a year of going through the process with the sleeve...and speaking to several several people..I decided on rny ...and I'll say it again..this was th ebest decision for ME..i cant speak for anyone else.

On the flip side...I also made my self realize the risks from rny over the sleeve..the malabsorption is no joke. I understood this COMPLETELY before making that final choice.

Height: 5'9 Hw: 285 Sw: 272  Cw: 167 Surg. goal: 165

1m: -20 2m: :-18 3m:-10

4m:-12 5m:8 6m:-4 7m:-3 8m-10:-28

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 169 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 249 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 303 views
What's on your Monday Menu?