Get ready, get set.....I WANNA KNW which way to go? sleeve.rvy,band,...im only getting...

KeishaCoCoBolton
on 5/6/12 10:28 am - chicago, IL
 hello, my name is keisha..and i'm scared...
Cheryl N.
on 5/6/12 10:31 am - Des Moines, WA
Hi there.

Don't do the band, do research on other types of WLS, bypass, sleeve, DS.

246 in Dec 2008 before banded 1/28/09 at 215 lbs, band crapped 9/09 at 170 lbs and struggled with it and regained to 203 revised to bypass on 8/1/11 and am very happy.

poet_kelly
on 5/6/12 10:40 am - OH
Don't do the band.  Save yourself the heartache.

I think the average weight loss with the band is 50% of your total excess weight.  So if you need to lose 100 lbs, you should only expect to lose 50 with the band.  And something like 80% of people with the band need another surgery in less than ten years to repair, replace or remove it.  It slips, it gets leaks, it causes scarring and tissue damage of the stomach that may interfere with the ability to have certain future revision surgeries, which you are very likely to end up needing.

There are a few people that like their bands.  Many people hate them.

So... RNY or sleeve?  What are your thoughts about those?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

mjst220
on 5/6/12 10:41 am
being a band to bypass revision..I second what they say- do not do the band.
AUDREY A.
on 5/6/12 10:44 am - McKinney, TX
Revision on 03/21/12
Please do not do the band.....
lynnc99
on 5/6/12 10:55 am
Talking with your surgeon should help make the decision. You should choose a doctor that you trust and that will give you a LOT of information about every option.

My doctor did not do the band and did not feel it would be a good option for me.

Beyond that, my insurance coverage made part of the decision for me!
seattledeb
on 5/6/12 10:56 am
 Knowledge decreases fear. You have research to do on all the kinds of surgery. 
Find the one that works best for you.

cuddles010982
on 5/6/12 10:57 am - Mt
I did the RNY surgery because i have insulin resistance due to Polycystic ovaries which is due to fibromyalgia. RNY is the only surgery shown to help with and in some cases even reverse insulin resistance. If you nave a medical issue due research to see which surgery will be best.

~Heidi

~Heidi
The quest for excellence is a life long process
snoopy123
on 5/6/12 2:12 pm
I would say go with the bypass.  You will get better results.  There really is nothing to be afraid of.  As long as you trust the people that are working with you, you will be fine.
 SW:244CURRENT WEIGHT 183    
Most Active
Recent Topics