Psych eval update

longhornrose
on 5/6/12 9:22 am - South Texas
RNY on 09/13/12
Been through the mill, trying to find out the results of my psych eval.  Finally, my surgeon reviewed it, and called me Friday to tell me that although the counselor I saw didn't rule out surgery, she had some concerns and thought I ought to see someone for some counseling prior to being approved.  Needless to say, I wasn't a happy camper!  In fact, I had a good cry, and moped around most of the evening.

When I got up yesterday, I was in a much better frame of mind, and decided I was going full steam ahead, so I called the counseling service and set up an appointment for Monday.  I chose another counselor, as I really didn't much care for the person who did my evaluation, and I'm going to start seeing the new person tomorrow.  Even though I was initially reluctant to do this, I'm beginning to think it's going to be a good idea afterall.

The fact my surgeon called me himself was a big bonus.  It makes me feel like he really does care about the success of his patients, and I like the fact he really talked with me about everything, as opposed to talking at me, or having someone call for him.   

I'd hoped this wouldn't be such a long, drawn out process, but guess that's just the nature of WLS!  No one said it would be easy, right? 

Consult WT: 312   SW274   CW: 244

poet_kelly
on 5/6/12 9:34 am - OH
I think counseling can help everyone during this journey.  Food and our weight is such an emotional thing, even if we don't realize it at first.  And the further out I get, the more it seems to me that the emotional stuff is the real work here.  I don't see how someone could be successful without doing the emotional work.  And I'm not saying no one can get to goal and keep the weight off if they don't do counseling.  I'm sure some people can do their emotional work without a professional counselor.  But a counselor helps.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

fireflymkz76
on 5/6/12 12:26 pm - Blairsville, GA
RNY on 07/24/12
I know exactly how you feel.  The psych who did my evail recommended a 3-6 month delay!  Talk about discouraging.  I was already in counseling but he said I needed to up my counseling to twice a month instead of once and had to get notes from my doctors I was taking my meds regularly.  I mean I don't blame him, that's his job but it sure was a HUGE delay and disappointment.
Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 212 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 257 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 304 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 266 views