Too much coffee??

tawnia49
on 5/7/12 2:02 pm
I was wondering if anyone feels they have had a correlation between drinking too much coffee and weight gain??  I seem too have a big problem with coffee, like an addiction!!  I'm talking about 5-6 cups a day.  I don't take sugar but I do use half and half.  I have counted about 200 calories a day from creamer but keep my over all calories to about 1400 - 1600/day in order to maintain my comfortable 160 lbs.  However, in the past 2 months I have gained about 7-10 lbs!  It is driving me nuts!!  My NUT says that there are studies that connect increased coffee consumption with weight gain (not the creamer but the actual coffee).  I don't understand the relationship between the two.  I cannot go to black or even skim milk, I have tried and it makes me nauseous.
I am pretty active also.  Go to the gym 5-6 times a week. I do aerobics, mix up the types, as well as weight training.  Averaging around 1 1/2 hrs a day.  I did increase the weight training and thought it may be increase in muscle, but geez, that would be a lot of muscle!!
I also have a very slow heart rate 40- 50's. at rest, so maybe my metabolism is slow.  i don't know but it is frustrating!  Any thoughts?
Tawnia        
Cherokeesage
on 5/7/12 2:10 pm
RNY on 02/24/12
I've read that  caffeine can increase hunger but I haven't read or heard it causes weight gain.  I don't drink coffee but I recently read  that  in moderation it was good for you. 

Banded  Oct 2008:  290       
RNY Feb 2012:        245    
Dr's set goal:            170 reached Oct 11, 2012
My goal:                     160  reached Dec 1, 2012
Today :                       145-150

I am half the person I was in 2008.

poet_kelly
on 5/7/12 2:29 pm - OH
Can you ask your nut where to find those studies?  I'd be interested in reading that.  I don't understand why coffee would lead to weight gain either, if it's not the sugar or cream put in the coffee.

Did you just start drinking the coffee two months ago?  If you were drinking it before then, but only gained weight in the past two months, then I doubt it's due to the coffee.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

BugdocMom
on 5/7/12 3:56 pm - CA
Just the opposite. There are many studies that show coffee consumption actually decreases/inhibits weight gain. I haven't seen ANY correlating coffee and weight GAIN. I would be curious to see the study(ies) your nut is referring to.

Regarding your recent gain, do you actually measure the amount of creamer you add? Perhaps over the past few months you have been adding just a little more creamer. I know I do when I don't measure;) Alittle extra creamer over 5-6 cups a day in the span of a few months could result in a decent weight gain...
christinalee
on 5/7/12 11:36 pm - At Home in, NH
I second BugDocMom's response. Unless you are actually measuring your creamer, it adds up so quickly. I use powder coffee mate light, and a serving is 1 (one!) tsp for 10 calories. There's no way 1 tsp is satisfactory to my taste buds -- I often end up with three to four tsp (or more!). If you use liquid creamer, even fat free, it's a high calorie cost too. Maybe for a couple of days just really, really track exactly how much creamer you are using...it may be illuminating.

I was shocked when I found out that a Dunkin Donuts large coffee with cream only is 160 calories....holy cow! That's just calories from the creamer. Oy vey. I save those coffees for special occasions....

"Just keep swimming." ~ Dorrie

Tim T.
on 5/7/12 8:51 pm - Eastham, MA
I have developed an "addiction" to ICED coffee. I brew it at home and bring a jug of it to work with me. I don't use sugar, and was using whole milk but recently switched to soy based coffee creamer, I'm at goal weight and still losing.........

Tim T.

lesserman
on 5/7/12 10:08 pm, edited 5/7/12 10:08 pm - Chicago, IL
There is no such thing as "too much coffee"...it is a myth perpetrated by the Tea Producers and the pro tea drinkers lobby in Washington, D.C.

They want nothing more than to marginalize coffee as a beverage and have embarked on a world-wide campaign to demonize coffee, coffee drinkers and coffee-producing countries beginning with bogus studies that misguidedly point out the supposed "harm" of drinking coffee...they seek to eventually equate coffee and coffee drinkers with smoking and smokers...complete with entire establishments being declared as "coffee-free" or "non-coffee drinking" and forcing coffee drinkers to do so outside of their offices and other workplaces even in the dead of winter in places like Minnesota and the Dakotas...

Their war is global in scope and they have a particular hatred for the South American countries that are by far the largest producers of the bean that produces the nectar of the gods...

Google, 'too much caffeine man' for some off-beat humour...

Weight at Heaviest: 320 lbs. 
Weight at Surgery:
283.6 lbs.

Everyone is entitled to my opinion...

tawnia49
on 5/7/12 10:38 pm
Thanks for the replies.  I will try to find her studies because I don't understand it either!  I measure my creamer sporadically, not all the time.  I could be adding a bit more here and there.  If I find the studies, I'll post a link.
Tawnia        
datorres
on 5/7/12 11:01 pm
 ALso half and half h as a lot of fat. Maybe you try using something different in place of it.
imgettingfit
on 5/7/12 11:29 pm - Millersville, MD

Do you like non dairy creamers?  I just love my Coffee Mate~
Height: 5'6" SW: 234 

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 343 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 25 replies · 165 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 373 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?