Still in pre-op, but I have some questions...

BeansOnToast
on 5/8/12 11:31 pm - Reisterstown, MD
RNY on 07/31/12
 Hey everyone. I just joined the site in hopes of finding some answers and support from people who have already had their operation. I'm 4 months in to my 6 month required supervised nutrition classes and hoping to have my surgery in August. If it matters, my basic stats are 25 years old, apx 5'10", and bouncing between 330 and 340. I'm still not 100% on which procedure to have, the sleeve or full bypass. I've been doing some research and I'm leaning more towards the bypass for various reasons. I do want the weight to come off quickly and I obviously want it to stay off and people have told me the bypass is the best way to go for that. I'm of course terrified about regaining, only because I've spent 25 years overweight. Never known what it's like to be healthy. Bad habbits die hard, really. But I'm mentally aware and I guess somewhat prepared for life after the first year, but it's the first 6-9 months I'm really worried about. 

So I guess what I wanna know is how everyone else coped with the beginning. Some people have said it was absolute hell, while others have said its not SO bad. I have a million questions to ask so hopefully someone who's at least a year out could offer some advise. 

Thanks!!
poet_kelly
on 5/9/12 12:04 am - OH
For me, the whole first year was challenging but exciting.  It reminded me kind of like when you have a new baby.  It's exciting and fun but rocky at times.  And things change.  Every time I thought I'd worked out a good schedule, something changed - it was time to increase my calories, or something.  Kind of like every time you start to get used to a new baby's sleeping schedule, the schedule changes.

I had some complications and felt miserable a lot for about three months.  By six months, I felt pretty good and eating was much easier.  Things started to feel more normal.

Honestly, for me, the first year was the easy part.  In terms of losing weight, anyway.  I had few cravings, rarely felt hungry, couldn't eat too much if I tried.  It was after the first two years when I was maintaining that the cravings and old bad habits became an issue for me.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

BeansOnToast
on 5/9/12 12:08 am - Reisterstown, MD
RNY on 07/31/12
 Yeah, I kinda figured it'd be hard with everything changing so often. Did you have problems getting protein? And what is the best way to get it in the beginning?! 
poet_kelly
on 5/9/12 12:13 am - OH
The only way I know to get it in the beginning is with protein drinks.  And yes, I had a VERY hard time getting enough in the beginning.  I didn't like the protein drinks I had and didn't try enough brands or experiment enough with different ways of making them.  Consequently, I was tired, weak, naueous and lost a LOT of hair.  About three months out I finally started getting enough protein and within days I felt much, much better.

The best advice I have regarding protein is to stock up on samples of many different brands and check out all the different recipes on bariatricfoodie.com.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

slashes
on 5/9/12 12:20 am
Just know that the majority of us here were all in the same place you were at one point. Scared, confused and doubtful if we could handle the lifestyle change - me included. I am about 4 months post op and it has been a challenge, but for me in a good way. Yes you will have ups and downs and possibly even some complications, BUT remember everyone is different.

You must treat it as a lifestyle change and yes you will have to fight the demons along the way that tell you to eat those bad things, but it can be done and I am living proof myself. BUT you have to also remember the change that will take a place in the end - the happier healthier you, the person you probably always dreamt of being and everything else will be so minor compared to that feeling.

Go in educated and know what your are up for and you will be just fine and know you have a HUGE support group right here if u need it to help you along the way !!

Follow My Gastric Bypass Story
This is where I share it all - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

RNY: 01-23-2012 Weight day of Surgery - 286lbs ~ Weight as of 09-13-2013 164lbs

BeansOnToast
on 5/9/12 4:40 am - Reisterstown, MD
RNY on 07/31/12
 Yeah, the mental block I have right now is the worst. I've had plenty of operations before and no one likes pain, but it always ends eventually. It's just the mental aspect of post-op that's killing me. Some of it is real fears like the whole not being able to adjust, not being able to stick with this forever no matter how badly I want it. And then there's the not so serious (though maybe they are serious?) issues like losing hair due to loss of protein, the enormous amount of sagging skin I'll have once I've reached my goal weight, etc. Did you all just ignore the thoughts and go for it or did you somehow get over them? I know I should be thinking long term. I'll be healthy, won't be at a high risk for diabetes, won't have the joint pain anymore, I'll be able to have kids and actually DO things with them, etc. but looking more short term, I'm absolutely freaked out!! :(
Amy R.
on 5/9/12 9:10 am - camp hill, PA
Hi!  Thought I'd 'weigh' in on this post.  I had surgery 2.5 weeks ago.  I went RnY.  I will say that I am tired alot, still on pureed foods, but can tell I am loosing.  I start with some soft foods next week...so hoping that will help my 'energy' situation.  I also got some very good advice from this forum to stock up on IsoPure.  The ready to drink bottles are 160 calories and 40 grams of protein and zero carbs.  I drink one a day and that's half my protein requirement.  Isopure also has a powder for shakes (which I have not tried yet but will when I need to restock) that his also super high in protein.  I also take a biotin supplement (to help w any hair loss).  I think the combo of recent surgery and low food intake is whats making me tired.  Even though its done laproscopically...it is still major surgery.  Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
I was afraid too...before surgery.  And in recovery...was SURE I had made a terrible decision.  But being a couple weeks out...I'm doing ok...and am now sure I made the right decision for me. 
As far as what type to have...have a serious discussion with your surgeon....someone who has all your medical history.
Best of luck...and keep focused.  Hope to see you on the 'other side' this summer!
BeansOnToast
on 5/9/12 9:19 am - Reisterstown, MD
RNY on 07/31/12
 It's great to hear from someone who's so early in post-op! And congrats on getting it done. I'm scared I'll feel the same regret right after surgery, but since I'm still mentally sound, I know that feeling will pass once I'm human again. I really hope the energy situation improves for you soon, so keep me posted?? And since this is all still fresh on your mind, are you hungry yet?!! A surprising amount of people have written that they didn't actually feel hunger until several weeks out- only thirsty. And thanks for the brand name for your protein. Since I'm getting to my last few months before surgery, I'm gonna start trying to buy small samples of different things to see how easy they go down (the protein powder I used when I was building muscle a few years back was a chunky nightmare!!) and how they taste, but I guess mainly which give the most protein in the smallest amount drinkable. I also already take prenatal vitamins and folic acid for my hair and skin and I've seen great improvement in the last month or so, so I hope to be able to continue those after surgery. 

Again, thanks to everyone for your advise! And Amy, please keep me posted on your progress!
Amy R.
on 5/9/12 12:57 pm - camp hill, PA
Actually, I have felt a little hungry this week...but not in the 'new' stomach...in the lower part of my belly.  Its usually first thing in the morning and not like I used to feel hungry.  I eat--well drink-- now because I know I have to, not because I am really hungry.  The thing I have in my head is that because I don't FEEL hungry...I don't think its working.  lol...surgery really does make you rewire your thinking.
You'll do fine...just ask questions and get a good support system in place before hand. 
BeansOnToast
on 5/9/12 1:00 pm - Reisterstown, MD
RNY on 07/31/12
 It's just hard to wrap my head around the fact I won't be hungry all the time and I'll pretty much be drinking a medicine cup of liquids every little bit (I'm a BIG drinker- almost 4 gallons of water a day plus my caffeine which we won't talk about because I'll be in mourning over that soon enough) and that's IT! I guess I'll have to start developing a taste for yogurts soon enough. :(
Most Active
Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 13 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 291 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 297 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 337 views