where is it documented that WL patients should have different lab results than normal...

oxfordcat
on 5/9/12 3:13 am - NJ
There is lots of talk about how "we" need different levels to be considered "normal".  However, i have yet to find any documentation from doctors, research, labs that list the new levels for us.  I have seen the ASMBS guidelines for what we are supposed to take daily as far as supplements,  but not what optimal results are when we get tested. 

if someone can point me to research and something concrete, i would greatly appreciate it.  My doctors all agree that as long as my levels fall into the normal range for the rest of the population, I am fine.  They did agree that if i found and provided them medical documentation and research about new levels, they would be happy to discuss.

I found a personal blog that has a pdf file, and i know Vitalady has something.  But is she a doctor?  Researcher?  Or is this based solely on her personal experience.  

Thank you for your help.

Catherine
"Something has changed within me. Something is not the same". Elphaba    
Cleopatra_Nik
on 5/9/12 3:18 am - Baltimore, MD
 I haven't heard so much that WE need different levels than I have heard the what the US considers normal is off kilter with the rest of the world. B12 is one of those areas that seems to be controversial. Doctors here might tell you a level of 300 is ok where in other countries that would be considered a serious deficiency.

So I have heard "we" as in the US population, but now "we" as in WLS patients.

I'll be interested in hearing a more definitive answer. Good question!

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

oxfordcat
on 5/9/12 3:21 am - NJ
thanks ... i have been fascinated by all the discussions about what we should get and opinions from personal experiences but drs say otherwise.  At least my dr is will ing to discuss if i can provide medical documentation. 

i was in a bit of a panic from what my labs read (although mostly in normal range) but few folks chimed in my protein was low, my d was low etc.  When i asked the dr. she said they were fine. 

Curious to see what links i am sent to for this information.
Cleopatra_Nik
on 5/9/12 3:25 am - Baltimore, MD
 Yeah what I described above may be coming into play. There is a lot of debate about whether the US standards for these things are good, bad, dangerous, etc.

Andrea at wlsvitagarten might have more info too. 

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

oxfordcat
on 5/9/12 3:29 am, edited 5/9/12 3:37 am - NJ
that's a website? I think that is where i printed the form i had but she gave credit to vitalady.

i can see countries having this debate, but not sure why WL patients should be seen as an anomaly.

i just emailed her Nik. Curious to see what she has to say

Cleopatra_Nik
on 5/9/12 3:39 am - Baltimore, MD
 Keep in mind your surgery stage too (I didn't look before I clicked the post button). "Real" deficiencies take a while to show up. So your surgeon may not be worried about something now that could concern him or her down the line. Although, I guess if you were low in stuff now it could be a sign of bad things to come...

Bottom line is: I am clueless. Where is Kelly? KELLY???

oxfordcat
on 5/9/12 3:46 am - NJ
LOL  I was thinking the same thing. 

avivaps
on 5/9/12 3:37 am
RNY on 02/28/12
I wonder too if we sometimes forget to watch the trends.  So even if a level is reported as normal, if we look back we might see it was a lot higher before and if we continue the current trajectory may get into serious trouble in the near future.  Just a thought...

RNY February 2012

starting BMI 40

oxfordcat
on 5/9/12 3:46 am - NJ
yes.  I did find a site to put your own numbers in to trend.  My last labs my CRP was 5.1 i think.  but the last time it was over 15.  so though this time was high, it had gone down. 

we do need to be responsible for our own labs and i am good with that.  I just want to know which "norms" to follow.

thank you ...
H.A.L.A B.
on 5/9/12 3:40 am
Do some research how they find out what "normal levels" are.
I personally do not care if my levels are below normal - as long as that does not affect how I feel, or what long term effects may be. (liek in case of low calcium)

I.e. maybe 300 or 500 B12 is fine for some people... but I know when I get below 800... I feel like crap.
Same with proteins: below  7 and I have energy of a crawling snail... Add that the iron: with my ferritin at 18 - - it was theoretically normal, but I got all the issues with low iron symptoms. Even though at that level my other blood numbers were theoretically OK. 

also - study shows that low vit D levels increase changes of cancer... how low is too low? and what is optimum? we do not know for sure...
Add the fact that most of us was MO because of some sort of issue...- not "normal":...

IMO_ the lowest numbers - will not kill you - but will not make you life very pleasant... like "I am not sure why I feel run down..."
Another one is Thyroid... I feel optimum when my TSH is between 1-2, but as I learn, that is not enough... My Free T3 needs to be normal.... When my TSH got to 3.5 - I had all the symptoms for low thyroid... (body symptoms)

As with anything else - it is what makes YOU feel good.

With iron: - too mu*****reases changes of stroke or hearth attack - not enough - and you feel like you are dying, and have RLS on top of that..

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 55 replies · 402 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 444 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 343 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 343 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 12 replies · 125 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?