Confusion

MrsZoe
on 5/9/12 6:03 pm
I am 8 months post op with 53 pounds to go or 54 depends on when I weigh. I am frustrated because the eating requirments I have been told about have to different sets I am still losing but I want an optimum rate. I have a goal and I mean to meet it. First I am told no carbs at all then I am told only complex carbs.Which is the most benificial to me? I need to know to do this right. I need a clear and concise answer. I am looking for optimum results and I am willing to sacrafice what ever need be to get them.  Can someone give me answer of what way of eating is the best way for results. Thanks
Created2bGreat
on 5/9/12 8:54 pm, edited 5/9/12 9:00 pm - NY
I can tell you what I do and what works for me in simple terms. I eat carbs, but only the ones I get from vegetables and fruits and on occasion I might have some whole grains, such as oatmeal (not the ones in the packets) or whole wheat bread. You want to stay away from refined carbs. So, for me, I avoid white rice, pasta, white flour, and anything that has SUGAR!!! You can look complex and refined carbs  up online to get a sample of what types are foods are can eat or avoid from those groups.
MrsZoe
on 5/9/12 9:08 pm
Thank you very much. I love that you put it simply. I will check out the complex vs simple sugars that is exactly what I am confused about and thanks a lot again

Dave Chambers
on 5/9/12 10:25 pm - Mira Loma, CA
Ditto on this post.  You will likely feel better with smaller meals, eaten 5-6 times a day.  Many times, there are post ops who wake up and find it difficult to eat a breakfast. It's important to eat the first 30 minutes when waking. If you feel nausea when you do this, try doing this:  have a small amount of protein at bedtime. This will keep your system satisfied overnight and likely make eating much easier at breakfast time. I'd highly encourage you to find a support group locally and attend it on a regular basis.  It's much easier for post ops to "do the right thing" when they have encouragement from other post ops, get to talk directly to post ops for suggestions, and listen to group discussions on issues you'll likely face on your journey. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

gbsinsatx
on 5/9/12 9:34 pm - San Antonio, TX
  • These are the rules I followed/follow: 
  •  
  • *Drink 64 ounces Liquids daily (drink up to a meal, wait 60 minutes after a meal) (I add 2 packets sugar free drink mix and 1 teaspoon Benefiber to 2-32 ounce water containers)
  • *Must eat at least 60 grams of Protein a day (100 or more grams beginning at 1200 calories a day)
  • *Eat no fat/lowfat dairy products
  • *Eat simple (fruit) and complex (vegetables, whole grains) Carbohydrates (I do not count daily grams)
  • *No more than 15 grams of Sugar per meal (more grams if able to tolerate-I allow myself no more than a maximum of 30 grams Sugar per meal from Simple and Complex Carbohydrate sources because I do not seem to dump on Sugar)
  • *Eat 3 main meals (B, L, D) no further than 5-6 hours apart
  • *Eat 1 protein snack at 1200 calories a day at least 2-3 hours from breakfast
  • *Eat 2-3 protein snacks at Maintenance calories a day at least 2-3 hours from B, L, D
  • *3-6 Months After Surgery: I ate 600-700 calories a day
  • *6-9 Months After Surgery: I ate 800-900 calories a day
  • *9-12 Months After Surgery: I ate 1000 calories a day
  • *12-18 Months After Surgery: eat 1200 calories a day (I ate 1200 calories a day until 15 months when I reached my goal weight)
  • *18 Months after surgery (or when goal weight is reached before 18 months): Maintenance calories (BMR/RMR & Activity Level) (Malabsorption of calories lasts approximately 18-24 months) (I eat 1700-1800 calories a day to maintain my weight loss of 200 pounds at a weight of 131 pounds. My height is 5'4")
  • I do not participate in a formal exercise program due to Rheumatoid and Osteoarthritis. I do move around a lot more and do a lot more walking.

Age at RNY: 55, Height: 5'4", Consultation Weight: 331 lbs-12/1/2009, RNY Surgery Weight: 281 lbs-3/22/2010, Goal Weight Reached: 141 lbs-6/23/2011, Lowest Weight: 126 lbs-12/11/2011

Current Age: 61, Current Weight: 161 lbs-5/20/2016Total Weight Loss Maintained: 170 lbs  

momjan
on 5/9/12 11:58 pm - Canada
Good advice from all.  As you can see, the biggest culprit of weight gain is `bad carbs`... the white bread, pasta, rice, etc.  Reading different sites, you notice a pattern of...I'm gaining weight, eating sliders/bad carbs....what do I do?  What you do is keep away from them.....completely!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
poet_kelly
on 5/10/12 12:37 am - OH
Who told you no carbs at all?  To eat no carbs at all you would be on a very limited diet since most foods contain some carbs, and anyway, your body needs some carbs.  If you ate no carbs at all, you would get very ill.

I suggest consulting with a registered dietician that can help you develop a meal plan.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

MrsZoe
on 5/10/12 7:15 am
I have made the appointment I am in germany on a base and they keep cancelling this time the lady is on leave. I hope I get to see one soon. About the no carb thing A lady I know who has also had RNY says her sucess come from eliminating them all together. I want to be healthy though she has a support group in my area and they have different diet rules than I was told on obesity help so I am trying to figure out who is right and who is wrong I guess.... I will contact tricare about the cancellations because I proablly do need to see a professional.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 218 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 257 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 305 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 266 views