Finding a Peer Group--My 18 month challenge

Dandice
on 5/12/12 7:17 am - McKinney, TX
I am just creeping up on my 18 month surgivarsary and one of my "gifts" to myself for being able to stay stable at 170 lbs lost (down from 286 lbs day of surgery) was starting regular sessions with the woman who did my preop psych testing, as she specializes in working with people after massive weightloss. 

One of the biggest things we talked about during my first session was the fact that I somewhat feel like an island in my new body--not accepted by my old F.A (fat acceptance) community or group of fat friends, not quite accepted by the thin women I work with now at my "I can't believe I am a glorified hooters girl" ****tailing job (I don't go bikini shopping, can't drink, have to wear certain items with my uniform to mask skin issues...etc.) and yet because of the fact that I have gotten to the smaller side of small really ostrasized by the people in the WLS community (irl not online), so much so that I don't attend support groups anymore. I couldn't take the eyerolls when I would make suggestions on protiens or workout plans, the snarky side comments about how I "had it easy" or "didn't know what it was like" (because, you know, I never weighed 286 lbs.)  So I feel like I am sort of stuck in this limbo, if that makes sense.

Has anyone else ever struggled with this? Thoughts on ways to combat the feelings of isolation? Feelings on support group (trying it again yes or no)?
poet_kelly
on 5/12/12 7:28 am - OH
I haven't really dealt with that.  My weight doesn't seem to be an issue with friends and other people around me.  From reading posts on OH, I gather that it is an issue for many people, but I don't really understand why.  It's never mattered much to me when my friends gain or lose weight, and my weight gain and loss hasn't seemed to matter much to my friends, so I get confused about why it seems to matter so much to some people.

I have two thoughts, though.  One is to try another support group.  I'm really shocked that people behaved that way at the other support group you went to.  Was the group professionally facilitated?  Because the facilitator should have stepped in and addressed that right away.  But yes, I would try another group, one that is professionally facilitated, and if your'e worried you could talk to the facilitator before the first meeting and ask how he or she would handle that situation.

My other thought is, to find some friends you can connect with about something other than weight.  Find people that enjoy something you enjoy and connect with them about that, regardless of their size.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 55 replies · 482 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 405 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 394 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 25 replies · 341 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 166 views
Recent Topics