Revision?

Jamielove21
on 5/15/12 11:29 am - Carmel, IN
 I had surgery in July 2009.  I lost 120 pounds, but still wasn't in the "healthy" weight range. Fast forward to today and I'm up 40 pounds. Partially my doing, and partially due to migraine medicine. I am falling back into the pit where clothes don't fit from year to year(my shorts from last summer no longer fit). I don't even know what to do. I called the surgeons office to request an order to have my labs run. I used to have way more energy. 

Has anyone thought of/done a revision? I know there's a whole board specifically for that, but wanted to get your opinions first. Thanks!

~Jamie 

SW/CW/GW
281/178
/135ish

poet_kelly
on 5/15/12 11:38 am - OH
Are you continuing to take the migraine medication?  and have you changed whatever it was you did that led to weight gain?  My thoughts are, if you continue the  medication and continue whatever you are doing, wouldn't you just gain weight back after a revision? 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/15/12 11:48 am - OH
If you have gained weight partly as a result of you own actions (whatever you are or aren't eating, how much you are or aren't exercising, etc.) and partly as a result of medication (which I assume you must continue to take), I am not sure how you junk a revision is going to help?  Revision to what?  Band over bypass?  DS-type bypass?  I know this is going to sound harsh, but if you are not using your current tool correctly, why would you anticipate suddenly following the rules for a revision?  My point is that you already HAVE a weightloss tool, and unless there is some kind of mechanical failure, it still works if you are willing to be diligent with what you are eating and how much you are moving your body.  It is very easy to let old habits creep back in, to eat portions that are larger than you need, or to eat too many carbs or too much fat.you can out-eat any of the surgeries.

Before I would consider another surgery (which means more potential complications), I would go back to basics and follow the "rules"... Protein first ALWAYS, small portions (go back to measuring for a while if you have to), limited carbs, lots of fluids (but NEVER with, or right after, meals), and tracking what you are taking in to find out where the problem is.  That is what I have done each time my weight has crept up 5 pounds and each time, those pounds have come off in about 2 weeks. 

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Cherokeesage
on 5/15/12 12:57 pm
RNY on 02/24/12
I only know of one friend that had a revision.  She did stretch out her stomach.   My understanding is a revision causes the stomach to be thin so I would personally worry about that.  She had a lot of issues for a few months  not healing  due to lack of protein and spent longer than expected in the hospital.  She is well now and has pulled the weight back off.  Knowing what she went through I hope she doesn't regain the weight a second time.  Before RNY I had the band and tracked calories.   I maintained my weight if I ate 1200 to 1500 calories.  (I don't do aerobic exercise.)  Thus, I had to eat under 1200 calories to lose.  I used a small saucer size plate.  Half was lean meat, 1/4th was vegetables and 1/4th good grains.  Eventually, I plan to do the same.  Presently, I drink one meal of protein, eat lean meat and have little room for vegetables, fruit or grains.  I've never taken vitamins so I am also committed to taking vitamins now.  I hope you continue to be motivated to get back on track for your health.  Best wishes to you.

Banded  Oct 2008:  290       
RNY Feb 2012:        245    
Dr's set goal:            170 reached Oct 11, 2012
My goal:                     160  reached Dec 1, 2012
Today :                       145-150

I am half the person I was in 2008.

jonelle32514
on 5/15/12 10:35 pm - Pensacola, FL
I probably wouldn't try a revision.  It hasn't been 3 years yet.  Some of your weight gain was probably bounce back and some was your medicine and your own doing.  Surgery is not a cure, its a stepping stone for us to gain back control.  You have to be accountable.  Your surgery wasn't a failure and neither were you.  If I were you, I would probably check out the 5 day pouch test and do that then keep a food journal, add some exercise and talk with my Dr about changing my meds. 

287/113
SurgeryWeight/CurrentWeight
5'10"

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 0 replies · 5 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 242 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 297 views
What's on your Monday Menu?