Strictures

lish249
on 5/17/12 7:00 am - OH
RNY on 03/12/12
 Well I just got off the phone with the surgeons office and the want me to have an upper gi done.

I am very afraid that I have a stricture. What happens if I do? Will I need surgery? Will I be off work again?

cuddles010982
on 5/17/12 7:03 am - Mt
I have had 5 stricture dilation during the last 5 weeks. The scope is not a big deal at all. They drug you up so you dont know what is going on then they use a balloon and stretch the stricture. You shouldn't need to have another surgery. If they do a lot of dilations and it doesn't stay open they might need to go back in and remove scar tissue but that is super rare. I had my 5th dilation on Tuesday and my doc said he thinks it will stay open now. you will have to take the day of the scope off work as you are to drugged up to do anything but other than that you shouldnt miss more work,

i hope you feel better soon

~Heidi
The quest for excellence is a life long process
lish249
on 5/17/12 7:13 am - OH
RNY on 03/12/12
 Thank you so much! I am not vomiting or do I have nausea. It just is very painful to eat or drink. Feels like my stomach is bloating to try and get it down. Very hard to explain. I do develop scar tissue and my surgery took twice as long because he was cleaning scar tissue.
I know that I am some what dehydrated because I have some of the signs so I am forcing myself to drink.
5 times? Wow do they come back often?

cuddles010982
on 5/17/12 7:41 am - Mt
I think mine came back so quickly (once a week) because he had to go back in the day after surgery to fix a leak so he sewed a lot more around that area. i think it usually takes a couple dilations to work but they are usually a few weeks apart. I suggest SF popsicles and ice chips if it hurts to drink.  i actually feel so much better after the dilation, so don't worry about that.

~Heidi
The quest for excellence is a life long process
lish249
on 5/17/12 9:14 am - OH
RNY on 03/12/12
Thank you so much for your advice and input!!
I am very thankful for this site it really helps me a lot and lets me know that im not the only one out there.

Most Active
Recent Topics