Dry skin??

M. B
on 5/19/12 3:36 pm
RNY on 07/13/12
 Hi guys! I am scheduled for surgery on July 13th... I started this process in April got approved in may, but due to my kids birthdays, and my husbands vacation times, I postponed it a couple of months. The whole time my biggest concern was not being able to drink water!? I realize I can't at first, but will I ever get to the point that I am out mowing and I can come in and just get a big thirst quenching drink? And then it hit me......... Concern #2...... DRY SKIN!! Ahh, it itches, it doesn't bounce back from weightloss as easily, lotions are usually all greasy and make you slippery when you sweat.., lol y'all get the idea here :) 
Im usuaally a pretty positive person,(like I said I have high hopes and great expectations for my life after gastric bypass just by having **lack of big drinks of water** as my only fear) but if there is a lotion anyone can reccomend, I'll use it 3 times a day if I feel the ol scaley, itchy, crocodile skin bothering me! :)
But long story short, what I'm getting at is, how many people experience long term skin dryness problems?

Highest weight:244  Current Health Problems: High BP, PCOS, insulin resistance.
Surgery scheduled Friday 13th 2012
poet_kelly
on 5/19/12 3:48 pm - OH
It's really different for different people.  Some have no trouble drinking a lot right from the start, others do.

In the beginning I had to drink pretty slowly or it was very uncomfortable.  Now, if I guzzle some water it feels uncomfortable but I can take what I consider normal sized drinks.  You'll just have to find out what works for you.

For dry skin, I like a lotion called Eucerin.  It's non greasy.  If the winter, when my skin gets really dry and itchy, I also take flax seed oil capsules, which seems to help.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Reel
on 5/19/12 6:15 pm
Dermatologist recommended "Cerave" which is sold at Target Pharmacy, and in CVS it's expensive $17 bucks a jar, but it definitely works, and it's fragrance free. You should have no problems with water if you drink slowly, but you may need to add something too it like lemon or artificial flavor to change the PH balance because some folks have experienced pain when drinking water out of surgery. I was such a person, but now I have no problems with water. Best Wishes. 
Price S.
on 5/19/12 9:59 pm - Mills River, NC
I just read an article about lotions and Suave mades on of the best, and it is cheap. 

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Mandy R.
on 5/20/12 12:42 am - Callahan, FL
I had problems drinking large amounts until about 4 months post op, now I can drink normally again.  As far as dry skin, it was for about a month but then got better.  Good luck to you.
Mandy

HW-298  SW-251 Loss/Month post RNY(1)-23.5,(2)-23.3,(3)-9.9,(4)-10.6,(5)-8.9,(6)-7.7,(7)-4.2,(8)-7.5,(9)-1.7,(10)-10.8*first goal reached*,(11)-6,(12)-1.3,(13)-0.3,(14)+2.9-*changed scales that weigh 2lbs heavier*,(15)-0.3(16)-4.7(17),+5.8(18)-1.5,(19)+4.4,(20)-+4,(21)-1.2,(22)+3.5,(23)

Nixie76
on 5/20/12 11:57 pm
RNY on 04/10/12
 Hi Morgan! I'm six weeks post op now. I don't know if I would have had trouble gulping water at first because I was so nervous to try that for the first week (per dr.s orders) i sipped an ounce of Isopure every 15 minutes religiously. After that first week, though, I noticed that my second week post op which was my "only shakes" week, that I never really felt full from the shakes (but I wasnt hungry) and I realized they just slide right through my pouch. So from then on I noticed that all liquids seem to just go right on through. I've been able to take moderate gulps - and then pause between gulps - and I'm just fine. I've had no problems staying hydrated. Someone else on here posted about pain if you gulp too quick, and that is true for me as well if I really pu**** and especially if the water is ice, ice cold - then I take it a little slower. Everyone is different of course, but in the long run, i suspect that you'll be able to enjoy a cool drink of water that will quench you as long as you pace yourself. Most people are not doomed to 'sips' forever. 
-"Make the decision, then do something - no matter how small - toward accomplishing what you want"-
-"What would you attempt, if you knew you could not fail?"-

M. B
on 5/21/12 12:36 am
RNY on 07/13/12
 Thanks everyone for the helpful info! Im glad to hear that the dry skin is most likely temporary and that I will eventually be able to take a decent drink again :)
I live in Texas, and we're already having 95 degree days, so water is a must! :)  
Can y'all give me an idea about when I will feel comfortable enough to go back to exercise? My dr. Wanted me to do an hour of anything anything until my surgery date, so my husband and I have been walking daily. There are days that we don't, and I almost feel guilty for not, ya know? 
Ive seen videos of people just a few weeks out saying they feel great, but I'm never sure if they mean their insides feel great and they are not afraid to move to fast or just in general considering what changes our bodies go thru? 
Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 243 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 266 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 312 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 270 views