Protein Shakes

uscfan05
on 5/22/12 12:00 am
RNY on 08/20/12
I'm pre-op and should be having my surgery in July but I don't really get a lot of protein in me now and my nut wants me to try to get protein or a protein shake in for breakfast.  I just wanted to know which ones were good and good for me for now?  I know (from reading on here-thanks guys!) that my tastes probably will change after surgery so just for now what are some good tasting protein shakes that maybe I can just find at a grocery store or Wal-Mart that also don't have too many calories or sugars in them?  Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

courtwillbehealthy
on 5/22/12 12:04 am - burlington, VT
 I use "Pure protein 100% whey protein". it keeps me full for 5 hours!!!! im pre-op

WayCoolJr
on 5/22/12 1:11 am
RNY on 05/01/12
My favorite is Bariatric Fusion (online); they have a good Cinnamon Bun flavored one and the others aren't too bad either.  I like that they aren't too thick and gooey, and they have lots (27 grams) of protein & less than 1 gram of sugar.  Good luck with pre-op & surgery!!

uscfan05
on 5/22/12 1:15 am
RNY on 08/20/12
Thanks so much!  I just wasn't sure which to buy since there are so many.

SarinaHaas
on 5/22/12 1:30 am - NY
RNY on 02/28/12
Everyone is soooo different. I can not stand any of the chocolate/vanilla/strawberry/banana/cake batter type protein powders. ICK. However, I loveeee Syntrax Nectar Roadside Lemonade powder, that you mix with water. You can make it take on any different flavor just by adding Crystal Light or something similar. It's 23 g of protein. I also don't mind EAS AdvantEDGE Chocolate Fudge, premade shake from Walmart. It only has 17g of protein, but it's a yummy snack.

I would suggest ordering samples from online. You can get them from various different sources. Vitalady.com offers a whole bunch. I got a whole bunch of different flavors/brands. I got at least 2 of each kind. One for pre-op one for post op. However, you may want to do it differently since your surgeon wants you on protein pre-op as well. Mine didn't require anything like that, so pre-op the protein was more just tasting, testing the waters.

Good luck with your surgery & your journey!!
Lisa S.
on 5/22/12 1:55 am - NV
VSG on 07/09/12
I am pre op too. I have been doing shakes for about 8 months now. UGH!!! I just get the vanilla at wal-mart and then add flavors such as peach sugar free jello (1 TBSP), banana creme pudding (1 TBSP), watermelon jello - my new favorite. You can also add extracts, fruit, etc. Play around with it and see what you like.

nuvizions
on 5/22/12 3:55 am - IA
Try HMR shakes 8oz skim milk 4oz of ice in a blender I prefer the choc. Texture and taste of ice cream.
uscfan05
on 5/22/12 4:15 am
RNY on 08/20/12
Great ideas guys.  Thanks so much!  I will try out that vitalady.com also to get some samples and see tastes and kinds I like too. 

They are just wanting me to do potein shakes since I'm not a big breakfast eater, that way I can get some protein and stuff in my system instead of carb filled cereal.

juleskar
on 5/22/12 6:03 am
I love Isopure Smoothies...nom! I never thought I would feel that way about a protein shake. BTW, the Isopure Zero Carb...ewww! It has a weird tongue feel, like you're growing fur on your tongue, but that's just my opinion. I buy my Isopure Smoothies online from Vitamin Shoppe. They are RTD and expensive, but I'm worth it. I just think of how much $ I spent on eating non-nutritious crap before, and now I spend it on my health. Like Sarina Haas said in a prior post, try the samples from vitalady.
Most Active
Recent Topics