Prednisone question (stupid poison ivy)

Amy D.
on 5/24/12 9:50 pm - VA
RNY on 03/13/12
I have a horrific poison ivy rash and have been given a 10 day prednisone taper which I will start today. Just wondering if anyone has had any problems with taking prednisone post RNY; like any problems with taking 3 20 mg pills together, or problems with weight gain, etc. Whatever you experience has been, please share!

Also, if you have any tips for dealing with stupid poison ivy, that'd be great too!

THANKS!!

HW: 272 lbs. (BMI 49.7)     SW: 237 lbs. (BMI 43.3)    GW: 140 lbs. (BMI 25.6)   
Bellarella
on 5/24/12 11:18 pm
I"m on my third last day of a prednisone 10-day taper pack for a bulging disk. I haven't noticed any adverse effects. I did discuss with my dr whether there were any contraindications for those of us with RNY or any side effects to worry about more than non-RNYers. She assured me it was OK to take and I haven't noticed any side effects at all. In fact, I'm having a particularly good couple of weeks when it comes to weight loss and diet/behavior. I'll be happy to hear from others who may have more experience with this medication.

Good luck with your poison ivy. Yuck!

Amy D.
on 5/24/12 11:52 pm - VA
RNY on 03/13/12
Thanks! It truly sucks a lot!!

Hope your steroids have helped with your pain!

rbb825
on 5/26/12 5:53 pm - Suffern, NY
wow, did the prednisone work for your bulging disc?  I have actually never heard of prednisone used for that???  I have multiple herniated discs, multiple bulging discs, spinal stenosis, and a host of other stuff in my spine and arthritis in every joint and they dont use prednisone.  I have been given many steroid injections - it works much better that way - it goes directly to the spot that is injured.  I just had one in my hip and one in my herniated disc in my L3 L4 disc.

bubbylucy
on 5/25/12 12:05 am - Raleigh, NC
I am also on my third day of prednisone and have not noticed any bad side effects. The good is this chest congestion id finally getting better. Wish you well

Audra

Amy D.
on 5/25/12 4:33 am - VA
RNY on 03/13/12
Glad you're feeling better! Thanks for the input!

csiaj90
on 5/25/12 1:05 am
I am on a 5 day prednisone treatment (on the 4th day today). My doctor told me to make sure I'm taking Prilosec as well as the prednisone since they can sometimes cause ulcers (which none of us want to deal with!). I have noticed an increase in my energy levels, but otherwise, I haven't noticed weight gain (which is what I was nervous for)...

Amy D.
on 5/25/12 4:34 am - VA
RNY on 03/13/12
Yeah, I figure it's a short enough course that I shouldn't worry about weight gain but it's naturally one of my worst fears!

I'm on pepcid already so that should help with the ulcer concerns.

Thanks!

rbb825
on 5/26/12 5:49 pm - Suffern, NY
You are on a very high dose of prednisone which you probably need for the severe posin ivy but to avoid ulcers - you need something stronger than pepcid = you need a PPI which you should be on for the first 6 months to a year anyway = most people used to use Pepcid the first month because it came in a chewable but it was taken off the market, so pepcid really isnt strong enough to prevent ulcers and definitely not when on high dose prednsone - ulcers can be nasty post op and you dont want to deal with that.

Try getting  a script for Nexium or Protonix - if you cant get that, get Prevacid or Prilosec over the counter - 30mg of prevacid or 40mg of prilosec daily.  You need to watch what you eat because after a few days, you will get a bigger appetite and want to eat more.  I know when I had asthma and had to go on a taper smaller than yours - I wanted to eat the world.  So, be careful

I am now getting IV iron and just have to take 3 doses of 20mg of Prednisone - 3 times a day - but once per week for the next 10 weeks since it is just once per week, it hasnt affected me, I do take Protonix 2 times per day so I am proteced against ulcers.

Judi J.
on 5/25/12 1:09 am - MN
I had to do the prednisone for poison ivy last year too. No problems, no weight gain, poison ivy sucks!

Someone told me to buy one of those poison ivy washes and to start using it more often. derp. feel better!
Most Active
Recent Topics