Had my psych eval today, I passed BUT......

Dravens_Mommy
on 5/25/12 3:21 am - VA
So I went to the psychiatrist this morning for my evaluation and told the truth about everything. Now I'm more confused then anything because I didn't think to ask these things before I left.

1. How long does it take for the surgeon's office to receive the report?

2. I told her that I was diagnosed as bipolar when I was 14 but never believed it until a couple years ago. I told her my symptoms looking for confirmation and her response was that I should see a psychiatrist to get some meds. Does that mean that I am in fact bipolar???

3. She suggested the I start counseling before surgery instead of putting it off until afterwards and said that she would include our plan with her report to the surgeon's office. Does this mean that it is a requirement and she is going to tell them that I CAN NOT have my surgery until I start therapy???

I plan on seeing a psychiatrist but I don't want my surgery to be delayed if I can't get an appointment right away.

ToNewBeginnings
on 5/25/12 3:34 am
If you need help then it's better to have it before surgery.
You and your 'team' need to be sure you can handle the work and what is involved and be stable

If you were diagnosed as bipolar,and started believing it a couple of years ago yourself, then you probably are right?

If she is suggesting that you start counseling before surgery then yes, I would think you would have to start therapy before starting surgery.

mthaxter01
on 5/25/12 4:34 am - CA
I agree with twonewbeginnings...... If you need the help get it no matter what....because in the long run it'll help you and if prolonging is what you need than it has to be so.

You should also speak with the surgeon and their team to see what assistance they can provide.

Chihuahuan
on 5/25/12 5:37 am - New York, NY
RNY on 05/16/12
What they are concerned about is if you do have a history of going into a true manic episode it would be very dangerous to just go ahead with the surgery.  People in true mania are really not competant to handle the aftercare of this surgery.   Some people think they can perform magic when manic and just imagine a person getting manic immediately after surgery, thinking they can magically heal their intestine and then overeating, popping their pouch and then getting peritonitis, on and on.    Be honest with your surgeon  or the treating Psychiatrist you see regarding if  you have ever been manic where you have no idea what you had done or had no control over your behaviors. That way they can get some mood moderator medications on board and have a plan to work you through this. Good luck!   
Pholaris
on 5/25/12 6:07 am
1. How long does it take for the surgeon's office to receive the report? It depends on who you saw and their own process. You can still call their office and ask, or ask your surgeon's office to give you a heads' up if they receive it.

2. I told her that I was diagnosed as bipolar when I was 14 but never believed it until a couple years ago. I told her my symptoms looking for confirmation and her response was that I should see a psychiatrist to get some meds. Does that mean that I am in fact bipolar???- This person probably only saw you on the purposes of evaluating if you are ready for surgery or not and sodid not have enough information to make an appropriate diagnosis. If you think you are bipolar, or have doubts, I would follow the advice and seek someone for that purpose.

3. She suggested the I start counseling before surgery instead of putting it off until afterwards and said that she would include our plan with her report to the surgeon's office. Does this mean that it is a requirement and she is going to tell them that I CAN NOT have my surgery until I start therapy??? You could still call and ask if that's what they meant. Did they say that you were fit for surgery? If they already said you were, then they are just passing the information on as a recomendation and not as a condition to surgery, but you will have to contact them to be sure.

If you feel like you could benefit from counseling and therapy, then personally I wouldn't wait until after surgery, I would get started as soon as posible since the surgery is a major life changing event and it is best to be prepared to handle it other than reactive to what it may make you feel.

Good Luck with everything.
Pregnancy%20ticker
JaneJetson
on 5/25/12 6:27 am
RNY on 05/07/12
 When you were diagnosed at 14 did they not put you on some form of medication? No therapy either?
I agree with the posters and get in as soon as you can to see someone and start on the right track.   This is  a life altering surgery and you have to have your head on straight to cope with what is coming down the road.  Good luck!    
spotcat6
on 5/25/12 6:34 am - Chicago, IL
RNY on 05/07/12
I too am bi-polar. It never was anissue to stop my surgery as long a i remained compliant. I see my psychitrist monthly and a therepist 2 month.
I think as long as you do what they recommend everything will go along just fine.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 457 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 354 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 437 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 354 views