Anyone familiar with Quark and know of any recipes for it?

MBsRNY
on 5/26/12 10:48 am - Baltimore, MD
I was introduced to quark, which is a type of fresh cheese, in Germany a few years ago.  My host had made a desert of it, mixed with berries that was delicious...sort of a fresher/lighter version of panna cota or other custard desert.    In Europe, it apparently comes in various degrees of fat and has a taste something like a cross between cream cheese and sour cream.

Well, I just found quark at the Costco!  I've never seen it in the U.S. before, so this was exciting...particularly since it is the 99% fat free type.

I've mixed it with chocolate pudding mix and it has a taste sort of like chocolate cheesecake. But I'm wondering if anyone might have any real recipes using it or other suggestions?

HW 270, SW 257, Surgery date: 4/25/12...        
_Donna_
on 5/26/12 11:14 am
I'm assuming it has the same consistency as cream cheese so maybe you can go to the Philadelphia cream cheese website and replace it with your cheese.

RNY 5-5-2011

christinalee
on 5/26/12 11:23 am, edited 5/26/12 11:23 am - At Home in, NH
I'm familiar with quark, but I don't have any recipes (I was Germany many, many years ago before I actually started to cook, bake, care about preparing food). But if I remember correctly, you can get the same thing here by making yogurt cheese, which is where you strain the whey liquid from ungelatinized yogurt (plain usually). So if you put a quart of plain yogurt into a strainer lined with cheesecloth or something similar and let it drain overnight, what remains is yogurt cheese, which is what quark is actually. So I would think if you Googled yogurt cheese recipes, you could find some pretty creative uses for your newly found quark. Have fun! BTW, I still don't do much in the line of baking, or creating foods, etc...30 years later, not much has changed!

"Just keep swimming." ~ Dorrie

Most Active
Recent Topics