Splenda.....side effects

JB1114
on 5/26/12 7:25 am - Grain Valley, MO
I have been a big user of Splenda for a long time, using an average of 10 packets a day.  Recently, I've developed a rash on my face that burns and itches, had acid reflux symptoms, a cough and feelings of anxiety.

My doctor prescribed Lexapro for the anxiety and a med for acid reflux.  I've not had acid reflux since WLS. 

Last weekend I went to Urgent Care because the rash was so bad.  I was given Predisone and something for the itching.  I had no idea what I could be allergic to, whether it was makeup, food or meds.

Yesterday it dawned on me it might be Splenda.  I googled Splenda and found a lot of info on the side effects and dangers of Splenda.  I have stopped using it and will switch to Truvia or Stevia.

Has anyone else experienced this problem with Splenda or other sweeteners?

~Jo~

RNY: July 8, 2008

Dr. John Price

Kansas City, MO

jujubee4224
on 5/26/12 7:41 am
RNY on 04/09/12
I, too, had a very bad reaction to splenda back in 2007. At the time, I was drinking a lot of flavored aquafina (because of kidney stones) and it used spenda for its sweetening agent. I had joint issues, terrible pain, developed very high bp, anxiety, tingling of my hands and mouth, trouble sleeping, a whole multitude of problems. I ended up having to be admitted for my symptoms and having a cardiac cath done. My cardiologist told me that there is a whole toxic syndrome related to splenda. It is advertised as a natural sugar substitute, but the truth is they have to go through a process using 21 different chemicals to get to this natural substitute. I stopped using it altogether for several years and recently re introduced it back into my diet in limited quantities. You said you googled splenda, try googling "toxic effects of splenda and see what you come up with. It is an eye opener. Good luck

JB1114
on 5/26/12 11:40 am - Grain Valley, MO
I found several articles on the toxic effects of Splenda.  I know you can't believe everything you find on the Internet, but I am having so many of the side effects mentioned. 

What I really need to do is cut back on sweetener all together.  Before WLS, I loved, loved sweets.  Sugar makes me sick now (thank goodness) so I really have to watch it.  I've dumped on a bite of cake with a really sweet icing.   I love iced tea but only if it's sweetened.  I've tried many times to drink it without sweetness, just don't like it. 

I eat plain Greek yogurt almost daily and add 2 packets of Splenda, but I'm going to use Truvia and cut back to 1 serving.  The flavored Greek yogurt sometimes has 18 grams of sugar and that's way too much.  I have to keep the sugar to 10 grams or less. 

~Jo~

RNY: July 8, 2008

Dr. John Price

Kansas City, MO

poet_kelly
on 5/26/12 7:41 am - OH
I have no issues with it, but I don't think I use huge amounts of it either.  I probably do use some almost every day, but it's like the amount in a protein shake, or a small amount used to sweeten some plain Greek yogurt, something like that.

It will be interesting to see if your problems clear up now that you've stopped using it.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cherokeesage
on 5/26/12 8:01 am
RNY on 02/24/12
I've never had problems with Splenda but I don't even use a pkg per day.   I had issues with aspertame years ago.  And, I can't use any Stevia type products because they give me stomach cramps.

Banded  Oct 2008:  290       
RNY Feb 2012:        245    
Dr's set goal:            170 reached Oct 11, 2012
My goal:                     160  reached Dec 1, 2012
Today :                       145-150

I am half the person I was in 2008.

Reel
on 5/26/12 8:17 am
This is kinda scarey. I have been reluctant to use Splenda in high quanities. I still have a box of 100 packets from 6 months ago. I allow myself one teaspoon of regular sugar in my sauces, and if I drank tea. One teaspoon of sugar is a heck of a lot better for me than the previous 12 that I used to use per cup of coffee! I used to be literally addicted to sugar. I built up a tolerance over time, one teaspoon eventually turned into 12. I even went through terrible withdrawl when I stopped using sugar as a part of my pre-op diet.  

Of course each time I drink a protein shake I do ingest Splenda, but I try my best not to add it to anything. I had awful joint pain as a result of asparatame (spelling) so I just don't trust any artificial sweetener. Asperatame should be taken off of the market, Sweet-n-Low's label admits that it causes cancer in laboratory rats (unless they've now taken it off of the label). Nothing beat's God's sugar and honey in moderation. Actually prefer "Sugar in the Raw". Unless of course if it makes you dump.
Laura in Texas
on 5/26/12 9:41 am
I beleive Splenda makes me have tons of cravings. I was up a few pounds and always feeling famished. I switched from Splenda to Stevia and I lost 7-8 pounds almost immediately.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

lilbear412
on 5/26/12 10:45 am - MN
 i do use splenda...i can't seem to like anything else accept sugar..sooo maybe i should start using the mixture of sugar and splenda..lol  have tried truvia on and off the past 6 months and i just can't do it.  I am not sure why but it doesn't taste good.  But i will keep trying.  I use splenda usually only in my tea.  And  sometimes i drink upwards of 6 glasses of tea a day...i use a tsp per glass of splenda.  I sometimes use some in greek yogurt.. I do not have any problems with it but i do crave sugar...so that would be my one thing about splenda..i do eat sugar free popsycles and trim creations fudge bars.  Not sure if they have splenda in them or what.  I still think its better than using actual sugar.
Will have to pay closer attention to this...thanks for bringing it to our attention.. 

Laurie says:  Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind  ~~~ dr. suess

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/26/12 10:14 pm
Because of skin - face rash  - and some other symptoms I gave up splenda.
I developed that app 1 year post op. I also was drinking protein shakes with Splenda, water, foods, etc.  Even my chewable vitamins had that (check the list on the bottle)
It took me 2 weeks splenda free for my symptoms to get better.
But they never went away. I had to use cortisone cream 1-2 times a day to keep that in check.  It sucks.
And it flares up when I do use stuff with splenda (chewing gum, soft drinks, etc.). 
Good luck.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 268 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 186 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 263 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 139 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 186 views