Obstruction HELP

Jen F.
on 5/26/12 10:51 pm - Brazoria, TX
  I just returned from the ER. I had horrible pain last night with vomiting & diharrea. They did a cat scan and I have paralytic Ileus and severe inflamation of the colon. My white cell count was 32 whereas a normal persons is 13. The doctor asked if I wanted to stay for observation but didn't seem to think it was really necessary so they gave me flagil (sp) & cipro and I came home. Now I am wondering if I did the right thing. I didn't understand that I had a bowel obstruction. I know he wouldn't have aloowed me to go if he thought it was that severe but you know how it is, most doctors don't know the difference when dealing with a gastric bypass patient. 
Thoughts please? Should I wait it out to see if it gets better or head to the hospital I had my surgery at 4 years ago? 
poet_kelly
on 5/26/12 11:00 pm - OH
How about phoning your surgeon?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

MarilynT
on 5/26/12 11:51 pm
I would start with your surgeon. Sometimes, if the obstruction is "paralytic ileus" as opposed to mechanical obstruction, the ileus will pass and surgery is not necessary. However, if it was me I would prefer to be observed in the hospital as long as I was in acute pain.

Hope you feel better.

Marilyn (now in NM)
RNY 10/2/01
262(HW)/150-155(GW)/159(CW)
(updated March 2012)

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/26/12 11:52 pm - OH
I am confused.  White blood cell counts are normally in the thousands (and normal runs between about 5,000-10,000)...

I have only heard of a paralytic ileus in children, but it is not a full blockage and, as you said, they would not have let you go home if it was serious.  As far as I know, there really isn't anything different about treating a bowel obstruction in someone with RNY as opposed to someone without it.

If your symptoms have not changed or worsened, it is unlikely that they will admit you even if you go back to the ER and just say that you changed your mind about being observed.  If you start to feel worse, though, then I would absolutely go back.  In the meantime, it would probably be a good idea to contact your RNY surgeon to at least touch base with him/her on it.  (S)he can give you a much better evaluation of what is most appropriate than people here!

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

rbb825
on 5/28/12 4:07 pm - Suffern, NY
32 means 32,000 which is really scary and they shouldnt have let her go home - she has a nasty infection

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/28/12 4:22 pm - OH
 I wondered if the number was in thousands, but 32,000 seemed so high that I second guessed it.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

rbb825
on 5/28/12 4:26 pm - Suffern, NY
I know it is crazy high that is why I cant believe they let her home, my normal white count is 3.0 or 3, 000

jdragr
on 5/27/12 12:09 am - AL
RNY on 02/09/12 with
I had a small bowel obstruction 5 days after surgery. No vomiting or diarhea but extreme pain. Went to the ER on my surgeon's advice. I had a small bowel follow through the next day (xrays) and the obstruction had resolved on its own. My surgeon still kept me in the hospital for 2 more days on clear liquids to observe. Please be careful. Obstructions are serious.
SW 296

Jen F.
on 5/27/12 4:57 am - Brazoria, TX
 I had assumed he meant my white cell count was 32000 as he wanted to admit me for that very reason. I am going to call my surgeon & see what he thinks. Thanks for your advice. I am hoping my surgeon will help. 
tracy L.
on 5/27/12 8:03 am - PA
RNY on 05/21/12
I am assuming the e.r. Doc knows u r a gastric bypass patient!?! My surgeon instructs that if you go to the e.r. , make sure the staff knows that!! Also, call your surgeon!!! He/ she knows way more than the E.R. will! God bless and good luck!!! Please let us know how things go!!

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 342 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 373 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 338 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 152 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 264 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?