Introducing new foods or a variety of such...

lesserman
on 5/27/12 12:46 am - Chicago, IL
Since my one-month checkup (which occurred in my fifth week post-op), I have, as instructed, sougnt to incorporate some of the suggested new foods into my diet such as: ham, turkey, pork (both in jerky form was recommended), veggie burgers, low-fat pork sausage with most not being tolerated well...the exceptions were the low-fat sausage and ham...

I decided to try one last option...SPAM (low-sodium)...not only does it go down easily, it takes 2 - 2&1/2 strips to be feel full...

I know that I need to eat more veggies, I just need to overcome my apprehension...for now, I drink 3-4 8-oz cans of regular V-8....

What are some veggies that you have introduced/incorporated into your diet without incident?

Weight at Heaviest: 320 lbs. 
Weight at Surgery:
283.6 lbs.

Everyone is entitled to my opinion...

thefrostedside
on 5/27/12 1:00 am - Canada
So far cooked veggies and I are friends...on nights that I'm not feeling up to eating what my family is eating I will prepare a Green Giant Simply Steam "Fiber" or "Protein" pouch thing...can eat about half but they reheat nicely...cost about $2 each (on sale here for $1 this week so my freezer looks crazy lol)...as for raw veggies...broccoli and cauliflower and I are friends but that's all that I have tried.

I find that as long as my veggies are cooked I'm fine.  The list of what I have had is really long lol.  I am also a big fan of Nik's recipes on the Bariatric Foodie and make at least 2 a week :)

As for meat proteins not going over well...they don't for me either (I'm 6 weeks out) I have found that I can tolerate canned meats much better than fresh...canned chicken salad is a go to for me for lunches.  Also vegetable proteins sit quite well and Gladys doesn't seem to mind them (I named my pouch lol...figured I should be on a first name bases with the "person" that makes all of my decisions) and veggie burgers and veggie ground round are quite tasty.

Good luck!

Dagne Tripplehorn
on 5/27/12 1:37 am - OR
RNY on 04/06/12
    As it happens, last night I ate a real vege for the first time since surgery (4/6/12). I nuked about 8 slices of zucchini and finished them off in the pan with the chicken tender I was sauteeing.
   The zucchini was so good I nearly cried. I love and missed veges but had been afraid to broach the subject with Pouchette. She is a finicky little gamin, but she liked the well-cooked zucchini very well. I had to eat dinner in two installments (3 oz. chicken + eight slices veg).
   There's a carrot in my fridge hoping to be chosen next. I don't like cooked carrots, but it looked easy to digest. I'm way too afraid of the gassy veges like cauliflower and broccoli, altho I luurve them.
   Do you think cooked carrot would taste good with a splash of Torani Brown Sugar & Cinnamon syrup?

soozieq
on 5/27/12 5:25 am
I hear you on missing veggies!  We made grilled italian sausage and veggie paninis the other night and I age some of the grilled onions, zucchini, and red bell pepper.  It was the most delicious thing I've had in a long time.  They were soft and well seasoned with a little sea salt and black pepper and they had that great grilled taste.

For cooked carrots, a little butter, salt and a dash of nutmeg turns them from blah to wow.  I love them that way.
Suzanne    RNY:  4/17/12  -   HW:  267  -   SW: - 256  -   GW:  150           
poet_kelly
on 5/27/12 2:53 am - OH
I don't think I've had trouble with any veggies, ever.  I was not supposed to do raw veggies until eight weeks post op, but before that I did cooked carrots, green beans, onions (diced, in stuff like chili).  I don't remember what else.  After I could do raw veggies, I did salads, so lettuce, and stuff like tomatoes, cucumbers.  I've eaten broccoli, cooked and raw, cauliflower, squash, corn, peppers of various types.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

happy_baker
on 5/27/12 3:59 am
RNY on 02/15/12
 I haven't had any problems with any vegetables. Even raw carrots and broccoli--as long as I dip them in something and chew thoroughly, I haven't had any incident. 

Good luck!
_._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. 
Check out my video blog!  www.youtube.com/user/HappilyShrinking/videos
Highest weight: 269.  Surgery weight: 233.  Goal weight: 144, and then we'll see.. 
1Haute Diva
on 5/27/12 4:21 am - Fort Stewart, GA
RNY on 03/20/12
 I've had success with squash, collard greens, cabbage, string beans, beets, broccoli.. Now that I think about it, Ms.Poucy loves veggies.  I just don't eat very much of them since there's rarely room left after I get my protein in.
- Shaw

Most Active
Recent Topics