Hemoglobin 12.9 g/dL
Hematocrit 38.9 %
Vitamin B1 29.0 nmol/L
Intact PTH (Parathyroid Hormone) 30.0 pg/mL
Vitamin D 40.0 pg/mL
Zinc, Plasma 79.0 ug/dL
Vitamin B12 528.0 pg/mL
Prothrombin (Vitamin K) 10.9  

My Doc said the iron was a bit low, but then he said something else (iron reserves?) was fine; so, he said no need to address it at this time.

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/30/12 9:02 am
Not sure about the B1 - what was that? whoel blood or plasma?
Vitamin B1 (whole blood) 80 150
Vitamin B1 (plasma) 4 20

iron looks good..
I do not see CBC : RBC, WBC, Hct, MCV, etc...
B12 is on a low side... I like mine 800+...
Vit D - is also normal - but on low side... 30- 100... you may ant to supplement a bit more,, but not too much.

Protein is good..

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Nathan R.
on 5/30/12 9:19 am - CA
For B1, it shows:

Vitamin B1 (Thiamine), LC/MS/MS  29  (8-30 nmol/L)

I'm not sure what the other items are (CBC : RBC, WBC, Hct, MCV, etc...)

Nathan
H.A.L.A B.
on 5/30/12 9:32 am
RBC - red blood count
WBC - white blood count
  Range Low Range High
White blood cell (WBC) 4.5 11
Red blood cell (RBC) 4.5 5,1
Hemoglobin (HGB) 12.3 15.3
Hematocrit (HCT) 36 45
MCV 80 96
MCH 28 33
MCHC 33 36
RDW 11.5 14.5
Platelet count (PLT) 150 400

You show only HGB and HCT. Sometimes the other numbers can indicate problems.
i.e. my RBC was 3.89 (too low) with MCV 108.. (large r blood cells- too large)  - that indicated possible problem in creating good quality red blood cells.  i.e Large MCV - may indicate low B12 (even in blood numbers are Ok - body can't utalize that) low copper, and some other issues. like low folic acid.

low RBC and low MCV may indicate anemia due to low iron and copper... and so on...

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/30/12 9:34 am
B1 -i sgreat then.  You never want low B1... Low B1 - may casue permanant nerve damage...
And B1 is water soluble... so if you get too much - your body shall be able to get rid of that.

poet_kelly
on 5/30/12 9:03 am - OH
Yeah, your iron is a bit low but ferritin is good.  That's like your iron storage.  But I personally would increase my iron a bit in that situation.  Your iron level is like the cash in your pocket while your ferritin is like the money you have in the bank.  It would be better to earn more cash to put in your pocket than to have to dip into your savings, right?  Taking more iron would be like earning more cash.

Your vitamin D is only half what it should be, according to the Linus Pauling Institute.  I would take more D3.

Your B12 is low.  Under 550, people tend to get symptoms like depression, fatigue and short term memory problems.  Ideally, it would be around 1000.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Nathan R.
on 5/30/12 9:21 am - CA
Thanks Kelly.  My multi-vitamin does not contain iron, because in the past iron has upset my stomach.  Maybe I'll try a multi with iron and see how it goes.

I'll up my D3 and B12 a little bit.  I haven't had any symptoms you mention, but better safe than sorry.

Nathan
poet_kelly
on 5/30/12 9:24 am - OH
Some types of iron are much more likely to upset your stomach than others.  Multis often contain ferrous sulfate or ferrous something else, which contain iron salts as well as elemental iron, and it's usually the salts that upset your stomach.  They also tend to constipate people.

If you use carbonyl iron, it's all elemental iron, no iron salts, and usually don't cause those problems.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
Recent Topics