Sleep Apnea and WLS

Rebecki65
on 5/31/12 10:50 am - OR
RNY on 08/20/12
Well, today I was diagnosed with Sleep Apnea and will pick up my CPAP machine next week.  I'm not a happy camper. 

Just wondering, has anyone had sleep apnea prior to WLS, and did it get better or go away after you lost some of your weight?

Never get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life!      
HW: 243  CW: 157  SW: 217
RNY: 8/20/12  Age: 48 Height: 5'3"

I've lost 86lbs!  Lost 90, but the honeymoon phase is over.  Now the real work begins!

StaceyP_Kingston
on 5/31/12 10:53 am - Canada
I have sleep apnea and have lost 114 lbs to date, I tried a couple of
weekends ago to sleep without the machine and I felt horrible, so
I still have it. I have hopes that once I get down to 'normal' weight it
will go away.
I just want to say learn to love your machine, it will make you feel so much
better in the mornings and all day as well. I lurvvvvvvvvvv my machine.
Thanks
StaceyP
HW: 320 lbs (May 2011) 
SW: 270 lbs (Dec 15 2011)
Current : 199 lbs (Jun 24 2012)

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/31/12 10:54 am - OH
I had it before surgery and it was completely gone by about 6 or 7 months (and 100+ pounds) out.  Most people get rid of the apnea, but some do not.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

MichelleNC
on 5/31/12 10:58 am
I hate to be Debbie Downer but I have it and I am pre surgery. I hate hate hate sleeping with that thing. We are not friends and we never will be. I am more tired from the stupid thing. I told my husband enough is enough it has been over 4 weeks already still I hate it. It isn't helping me.

Michelle
Did the happy dance onto the Loser's Bench March 18, 2013!

Visit my blog at http://skinnyundermyfat.blogspot.com/

lanagirl
on 5/31/12 10:58 am
I didn't know I had it until I was in the hospital after my surgery. My Dr didn't require a sleep study. It is now gone as far as I know...... I don't wake up tired any more.

MBsRNY
on 5/31/12 11:10 am - Baltimore, MD
Mine was diagnosed as part of the required sleep study, but in retrospect I should have realized it...I was always falling asleep. I sleep SO much better with my machine, that I am one who is very fond of my little machine. The biggest difference in comfort level with it is the mask...ask your respiratory therapist to let you try out a few different styles to see what suits you best.
Cindyagogo
on 5/31/12 11:15 am
RNY on 02/21/12
Hi,
I had severe sleep apnea for several years prior to WLS. Never slept more than a couple hours without waking up. I would start to nod off in the middle of conversations and meetings. Professionally horrifying...not to mention socially.
As of 3 months and 110lbs. post surgery, i am sleeping thru the night and feeling rested in the am. Amazing. My PCP wants a sleep study to confirm the change but I think i can say positively that that chapter is done.
KnittingPoet
on 5/31/12 11:15 am - Raleigh, NC
I was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea (my AHI was 172 the night I did my sleep study) while I was going through the initial process to get approved for surgery.  Unlike many people, I LOVE my machine.  Just waking up without the headaches has been awesome.  And, I actually feel like I have slept. 

When I met with the Dr. after having the cpap for a month, he examined my throat, mouth and nose and told me that my apnea seems to be more structured based and therefore may not be corrected by the weight loss.

Sabrina S.
on 5/31/12 11:50 am
Im on board with the love my machine'ees lol- Ive been on cpap for a year, and while I hope surgery helps me send it packing, I cant (and wont ) go a night without it. I feel so much better, and hubby has a coworker who's death(at 36 years old) was related to his apnea(he fell asleep on the couch and his heart gave out ) so I wouldnt go without it even if I despi
sed it!
Sabrina
HW362 BS 323 CW318.6 GW180
RNY Surgery 8/21/12

Eliza55
on 5/31/12 12:14 pm - PA

I also was diagnosed with sleep apnea as part of the initial evaluation prior to surgery.  I'm not the biggest fan of the CPAP machine, but I use it every night.  My apnea has not improved, and I recently went through another sleep study to retitrate my settings.

I do get lots more energy with the CPAP machine, and it's important to my overall health, so I'm hooked up for a while.

Eliza
Consult:239   SW:217  1mo:195  2mo:182  3mo:169   6mo:139  9mo GOAL CW: +2 from underweight

Most Active
Recent Topics