Planning on being Miserable!!

candlelady
on 5/30/12 12:14 pm
Only 2 weeks out from RNY and having wrist surgery in the morning.  TTFC tear in wrist....wish me luck!!  Recovery should be grueling...cast up to shoulder for six weeks!!
lesserman
on 5/30/12 12:23 pm - Chicago, IL
TTFC?
Weight at Heaviest: 320 lbs. 
Weight at Surgery:
283.6 lbs.

Everyone is entitled to my opinion...

candlelady
on 5/30/12 12:28 pm

I think it's called TTFC....some kind of tear in the wrist on the outer side of the wrist.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/30/12 12:29 pm - OH
Not to sound flippant, but if you are already planning to be miserable, you probably will be no matter how the surgery and recuperation goes.  There are far worse things as far as the misery factor than having a full arm cast for 6 weeks, but I do understand the combination of the wrist surgery recovery and the RNY recovery.  If you are having general anesthesia for the wrist surgery, though, you need to let your RNY surgeon know ASAP, because (s)he might not want you to have general surgery again so soon.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

poet_kelly
on 5/30/12 12:36 pm - OH
The cast does sound miserable to me.  Especially in the summer when it's hot.

On the other hand, maybe it's good to get all the miserable over with at once.  I mean, you are limited in your activities anyway so soon after RNY and you would probably be tired a lot anyway and maybe irritable and stuff, so this way you get it all out of the way at the same time.  And if you experience hair loss from the general anesthesia, you can lose it all at once instead of losing it for RNY, then a few months later losing it again from the wrist surgery!  Is that a silver lining or what?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

(deactivated member)
on 5/30/12 12:41 pm - waukesha, WI
Good luck and I hope your recovery is a lot better than what you think it will be!
candlelady
on 5/30/12 12:43 pm
Exactly Kelly....that's why I planned it that way.  Plus I'm out of work so just stay out and recover from the wrist surgery which is longer than the bypass anyway.
Lora, my surgeon already knows about it, I was actually planning on doing the wrist first but the bariatric surgeon didn't want me in a cast and being uncomfortable while going through bypass, so I switched them!
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/30/12 12:50 pm - OH
Oh, when your post said "2 weeks out from RNY", I took that as meaning that you would be having your RNY in 2 weeks.  As long as both your surgeons (and the anesthesiologist) know that you just had general anesthesia 2 weeks ago.  My surgeons have previously insisted on a minimum of 4 weeks between general anesthesia.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

rbb825
on 5/30/12 7:08 pm - Suffern, NY

I wish you well and I understand the work schedule but there are a few things that you are going to have to be careful of.  First off, make sure you can talk to the anesthesiologist ahead of time before the surgery - like Lora said, 2 weeks between major surgeries with general anethesia is very taxing on the body and many anesthesioloigsts advise against it.  You havent fulling recovered from your RNY both energy wise, stress to the body which is a big part of getting through anesthesia and sometimes they have to give IV steroids as a stress dose to help your body get through it although you think you are physically up to it, you body might not be - adrenal system and all.

It is also imperative that at 2 weeks out that you get all your fluids, and proper protein in if you are going to heal properly.  very often, they say it is okay to forgo the protein at first but to just stick to the fluids but when you need major healing to happen both from your RNY and major wrist surgery at the same time - you are going to have to find a way to get massive protein in both before and after the surgery, 

If you go to GNC - you can get Isopure ZeroCarb - protein drinks - they are 40grams of protein per 20 ounces.  they are like koolaids and come in tons of flavors and could be the key to your healing.  I know when people go in for plastics, they tell them they need 200grams of protein for a month or 2, yours isnt as extensive but you need both skin and bones to heal.

You are also going to be limited in your physical therapy depending on what they want you to do and how far out you are at that point.  My surgeon wouldnt let me lift for 2 months, I could walk or use a bike but no lifting so I dont know how that will affect your PT

I wish you the best and hope all goes well.

A. C
on 5/30/12 1:12 pm
good luck on your surgery, speedy recovery!

HW: 376   SW: 354  

Most Active
Recent Topics